Friday, September 13, 2013

The First Weeks




I have officially survived the first 2 weeks of school!
It's been great, though honestly a little surreal. 
Sitting in a classroom for 8 hours a day, isn't something I've done in a very long time...
in what honestly feels like forever!

There are sixteen of us on this journey together.
A mix of male and female, young and older-ish...
well actually only one older-ish person and that would be me!
Yep, I guess I'm kinda the "mom" of the class.
But, hey I'm ok with that...with age comes wisdom. Right?

It's funny being around a group of twentysomes 
and a couple of thirtysomes, and their insatiable energy.
I find it refreshing.
Their youthfulness at times, makes me laugh.

As we settle into groups and friendships form, it's interesting to see the dynamics of the class.
I wonder when it's all said and done, where everyone will end up.
Will we all finish the program and make it through?
 Not only the academic portion, but also the grueling clinicals that are to come.


Our days consist of lectures and hands on.
Looking at all these strange surgical instruments and learning their names and uses.
When we finish the program, we will have learned almost 500!!
We are all still struggling with the first 40, so reaching that high number at this point is hard to fathom. 





We quiz every single day, and have exams every 5 days. 
So my nights, well they kind of look like this...
going over notes and flashcards


 with some help from the trusty textbooks!


Reading this much and learning all these new things is quite invigorating.
I am truly enjoying it.
It's good to know that I've still got plenty of room up there to learn new things.
(check back again in 6 months and see if I have any more room at that point!)

That's what I've been up to...what about you?






7 comments:

Annette said...

It all sounds very interesting and exciting! I can see how being the "mom" of the group would give you a different perspective than being one of the twentysomes.
I look forward to more updates. Good luck!

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've often wondered what it would be like to be in school as an adult - I'm sure I would take it much more seriously than I did way back when and bring some great real-life knowledge to the mix as well. So glad you're enjoying it so far! xo

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Meeling, it sounds like a lot of work but your enthusiasm for it will help you get thru. :)

I was a young Mom of 3 when I actually went to college, so I never got to experience it any other way ( I also went to a Uni. that caters more for older adult students, with evening and long weekend classes or I do no think I would have been able to go :)

So happy for you and that you are working on something you are so excited about :)

Looking forward to more updates and there will be a quiz at the end of this, lol :) Cheers, T. :)

Kelly said...

It sound like you're off to a great start! And what interesting things you're learning...there are 500 surgical tools? Yikes!

Almost Precious said...

I enjoyed your update, Meeling.
It is amazing how much the human brain can retain When we stop to consider all the many things we know, such as trees and shrubs and flowers, birds and insects and animals . . . and also not just a flower is a flower but roses, peonies, pansies, daisies and on and on.
I'm sure there will come a day when you'll know all those 500 surgical implements just as well as you know hundreds of thousands of other things. :)

Handmade in Israel said...

How exciting, Meeling! I am sure you are a wonderful "Mom" to the group.

thestoryofkat said...

I know what you mean about the camaraderie and the invigorating feeling of so many new things to learn and discover! It's such a great feeling, I could just get lost in it. We have a lot of different aged folks in my grad program...I am one of the crazy thirtysomethings :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...