Saturday, August 31, 2013

A New Chapter




As a little girl I dreamt of becoming a doctor, a surgeon actually.
Perhaps, Trapper John MD might have had a little influence on my desire.
Do you remember that tv show?
I was in love with it growing up.

Sometimes as life goes though, another path finds us.
It's neither good nor bad, it's just life.

A certain path found me.
I became a wife and a mother.
Things that I wouldn't change for the world.
I love being a mom.
 It's a busy non stop job, but as you see your children grow, mature and become individuals, 
it makes your heart so full.


I've come to the point now where my children are grown enough that they don't need me 
24/7 for all the things they did when they were little.

While I may be a little old to start becoming a surgeon at my age, 
I'm certainly not to old to follow through on a dream.
An opportunity presented itself earlier this year for me to test and interview for a surgical tech program.
I figured why not give it a go.


Guess what?
I got accepted!!
I was in disbelief when the letter came in the mail, 
super excited but a little in shock.

This has been an emotional week as I said goodbye to my job with our local school district
where I've worked for many years. 
Saying goodbye to coworkers you've seen everyday for years was an odd feeling.
Those final hugs from my little munchkins, even harder.

Though bittersweet, I know that great things are to come.
I will be in school full time for the next year, and then there will be clinicals.
I'm sure my brain power is going to be tested to it's max as we study; 
anatomy, micro biology and pharmacology.
We need to learn over 400 types of instruments that are used in the operating room!
When the surgeon says "scalpel", you sure as heck better know what he's talking about!!


I won't be having too many complicated recipes to share here as my nose
 will likely be buried in a medical textbook instead of a recipe book!

As I settle into a routine of school, homework and my regular family life, 
my posts might be a little few and far between, but I'll still be around.

I'm excited to start this new chapter. 
I hope that you'll follow along on the journey with me.



9 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

That's amazing! Congrats! What a wonderful new chapter to embark on and I know that you'll do great. It's never too late to follow your heart. xo

Almost Precious said...

Oh Meeling, how wonderful ! You know we will all be wishig you well and I'm sure you will do a great job in your studies.
Whenever you find you have the time and are up to it, please give us a shout out through your blog - share with us some of the excitment that you will be feeling. :)
My sincere best wishes to you.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

This is so cool :)

I am so wishing you the very best and so excited for you :)

I am proud of you for following your heart and proud that you were prepared to take this leap of faith :)

Please, share with us, when you can, how things are going, this is such an amazing journey you are about to take :)

Take care, my friend, cheers, T. :)

Kelly said...

Wow, Meeling! How exciting! What an awesome opportunity. I'm excited for you, and can't wait to hear about your new journey.

Annette said...

Meeling! What an exciting opportunity! I'm so thrilled for you and hope that it's all you wish it to be. I'm looking forward to hearing about it along the way!
Wishing you all the best! :)

GranTurismo Driver said...

Nice post, great blog, following :)

Good Luck :)

Additionsstyle said...

Meeling, that is amazing, congratulation on getting accepted!!! I wish the best on this new adventure in your life.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

Congratulations Meeling, I am happy for you as you begin this new exciting journey :)
Denise

thestoryofkat said...

CONGRATS! How exciting!! Going back to school has been such a big experience for me and I wish you all the best on this journey :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...