Monday, April 1, 2013

A Sweet Ending



One lovely Sunday, life was normal.
A lazy morning, a BBQ lunch and a delicious dinner.

Then came Monday morning...
How the tables had turned.
My husband was ill.
The stomach flu we thought.
But after some hours had passed and symptoms worsened, 
we realized this was not a simple 24 hour bug.
The next 10 days would be spent in the hospital.
First, an intestinal blockage.
Then kidney failure.
SCARY!!!
Thankfully after many days of precision care, 
what felt like a million tests and many types of antibiotics,
he avoided surgery and gradually made his way back to health.
He is moving slow, but thankfully home again with us and on the road to a full recovery.

Somewhere in there I had a birthday...
the only celebration, was that it was the day that my husband was finally able to come home.
The best gift ever!

A soft food and low fiber diet for him, led me to choose a simple celebration dessert.


A lovely labne cheese tart inspired from here 
but with the refreshing addition of the zest and juice of half an orange.

It was creamy and tart, with just a hint of sweetness.
A delicate, crispy, almost shortbread type crust.
Light and refreshing.
The perfect sweet ending to a very trying two weeks.

******************

Labne or labneh is a strained soft cheese made from yogurt.
It is easily found at international markets and in some well stocked supermarkets.
Plain Greek yogurt could be used as a substitute if you can't locate labne.



8 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear this news! But glad that he is okay now! Yikes, what a scare!

Annette said...

I'm so glad he is home and on the mend! I know it's a big relief for all of you.
The cheese tart looks REALLY yummy!

thewovenspoke said...

I'm so glad that everything worked out and he is healing and home with you. I think I'll give that tart a try :)

Additionsstyle said...

Sounds like a crazy few day, I am glad to here he is on his way back to full recovery and was able to come home on your birthday.

Your cheese tart sounds wonderful, and I bet it tasted fantastic.

Valerie
Everyday Inspired

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

So glad Chad is home and you are all together again and able to take a breathe :)

I bet that was the best B.Day prezzie ever :)

Wishing Chad a speedy recovery and lots more of your delicious
cooking :)

Have a lovely day, cheers, T. :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

Gosh! What a crazy thing to happen! I'm glad to hear he's turned a corner and is home and on the mend. The dessert looks delicious - labneh is very popular here in Dubai. Happy belated birthday! xo
(my hubby had his birthday on the day i went in for surgery so birthdays have been a little off for both of us!)

Almost Precious said...

Oh Meeling, I'm sorry to hear that your hubby went through such an ordeal. I can only imagine how anxious and concerned you were.
Intestinal blockages are very painful, though I've not experienced one (thank the Lord!) I do have a friend that went through that ordeal - unfortunately they had to perform surgery on him as the blockage would not resolve itself with hospital care alone.
Glad to hear your hubby is doing better and did not have to undergo surgery.

Handmade in Israel said...

My goodness! How scary. I hope he is continuing to improve. I am glad you got a special birthday present (in its own way) and that labne tart looks delicious! I adore labne.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...