Thursday, March 7, 2013

Outside The Box



I'm no Andrew Zimmern.
You won't find me eating bugs on a stick or some strange unidentifiable goo.
I'm also not bald and a man, 
ok maybe that's a bad example, 
but what I'm trying to say is that I like to try new foods.
I think it's good to step outside your comfort zone and try new things.
Last weekend my husband I drove to Koreatown in Los Angeles
 to look around and find somewhere to have lunch.
We ended up at Myung In Dumplings,
an unassuming little place in a strip mall, easily passed over if you weren't looking.


While what we ate wasn't eyeballs or something crazy...it was completely delicious!
King dumplings with pork and kimchi.
Their dough so light and airy...absolutely magnificent.
Perfectly formed swirled buns, steamed to perfection.
 Puts my past attempts at making pretty pork buns to shame.
Must practice!
Then a tray full of savory little shumai - pockets of pure deliciousness!
A cold beer, and I couldn't have been happier.

I love finding a little gem of a restaurant like this.

What about you...
Have you eaten outside the box lately?

8 comments:

Annette said...

Oh my goodness that looks so good! I can't remember the last time we ate outside the box. I'm going to tell Michael we need to fix that!

Handmade in Israel said...

Sounds like a great meal! Locusts are all the talk here at the moment because a huge swarm has arrived from Egypt and apparently the are Kosher. Hmmm... not sure I'll be trying them out :P

gretchenmist . . . {belinda} said...

oh, yum!! sounds great!
thanks for your lovely feedback :)

Almost Precious said...

Mmm, looks yummy. Exotic dinning is fun and helps relieve us of the same-old-same-old rut of meat and potatoes.

A couple of weeks ago my hubby talked me into getting out of the house and going up to Tampa-St. Pete to try out a place that serves genuine Trinidadian Roti. Neither one of us have had a roti since we left the lovely Caribbean island back in 1980. It was luscious and the curry seasoning was perfection. All we needed was an ice cold Shanty and steel pan music.
I think the outing did me good even though I did suffer an anxiety attack as we drove back home, fortunately the attack didn't last long and I have no idea what triggers them. =o

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

That sounds like a fun time with your Hubby :)

(No Jellied Eels??? LOL!!! :)

I feel very spoilt that I have been exposed to many great ethnic restaurants in the States, Canada and Europe.

My Hubby, on the other hand, who travels a lot to Asia, is not a big fan of Korean food :(

Although he will eat pretty much everything else joyfully :)

Have a lovely weekend, cheers, T. :)

cabin + cub said...

Yummy! The funny thing is, for me, I grew up on Asian food.. so eating outside the box as I got older were more traditional North American dishes like meat loaf! :)

Annmarie Pipa said...

oh yum!! looks delicious!

Additionsstyle said...

I love trying new food and finding little out of the way places. Your dumplings look amazing, I think I am going to have to get Korean food tonight.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...