Monday, March 11, 2013

Deer In The Headlights



Have you ever had the feeling that you're speaking another language, Klingon perhaps?
They stare...I mean a deer in the headlights frozen kind of stare.
Charlie Brown and I'm the adult going whah, whah, whah, whah.

I was born, raised and up until about 20 years ago, called Canada home.
Along with that comes something my fellow Canadians will know well, the infamous butter tart.
A sweet, delectable little gem of a pastry that you can't help but love!
It is the dessert of my childhood.
The closest thing you'll find in the US is pecan pie, but it's not even really close...at all.

Ask for a butter tart in the US and you're sure to get the aforementioned stares.
I gave up many years ago trying to find any locally. Occasionally a saintly relative will post a package of some, and they will find their way into my mailbox to be savored and enjoyed.

Well the other day - I was craving them - I mean something fierce!
No time for snail mail to deliver this time.  
Oh no! 
It was time to break out the baking skills and make my own.
So that's exactly what I did.

Behold...


The flaky goodness of a delicate crust.
A perfectly browned top.


The precise amount of runny, syrupy center, surrounding the raisins.
Melt in your mouth sweetness.
It was pure bliss.

Do you have a favorite childhood dessert?

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh yum! That looks so good, and I've never heard of it! One thing that we like, not from my childhood, but from Darryl's are butterhorns, a traditional German pastry. His grandma made the best ones.

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

Meeling,
I love butter tarts :)I had no idea they were a "Canadian thing"! I shall appreciate them even more now that I know they are only available here.
Denise

Annette said...

Oh my goodness, that sure does look good! A favorite dessert from my childhood is cocoa pies. My mother would make them on really cold or snowy days. I crave them whenever it snows!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Meeling, I really know what you mean about that sudden craving :)

If there is a fav (but there are several goodies we all love, like sausage rolls, mince pies and Victoria sandwich cakes) I think it would have to be scones, the little delicate melt in your mouth English ones of course (no offence to Americans but....)

With clotted Cream and jam and a cup of tea too!! :)

Have a lovely day, cheers, T. :)

JessMadeThis said...

I love butter tarts! I never knew they weren't really available outside Canada. Yours look yummy!

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

I've never heard of butter tarts but they sure look delicious! Would love to try them :) I have many fond childhood memories with food. Yesterday I made one of my favorite breakfasts - oven baked macaroni with sugar, milk, eggs and feta cheese.

Additionsstyle said...

Wow, those sounds pretty luscious and sweet. I am glad you were able to find a recipe so you can make them anytime you want.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

lisaroyhandbags said...

Oh my gosh - I'm almost licking my screen! I LOVE buttertarts and am looking forward to enjoying some this summer back in Muskoka (sadly we'll get there a week too late for their buttertart festival!).
ps: thanks for the lovely birthday wishes xo

Handmade in Israel said...

Yum! These look amazing... particularly to someone right in the middle of Passover at the moment! Lol!

Almost Precious said...

The Butter Tarts look delicious, very flaky and tender - bet they tasted divine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...