Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Breakfast In Paris



I am a chef.
Okay, maybe not officially, but I like to think I am
 when I'm creating meals in my own kitchen.

I would however not profess to be a baker.
I like to bake.
I'm fairly decent at it, but a true full blown baker I am not.
Lately though that has started to change.
I've gotten into baking breads.
Artisan loaves which my family loves, and now any store bought bread in our house 
is a thing of the past.

It's a two edged sword really - once you've had the homemade stuff, you can't go back. 
I mean you really can't go back.

That brings me to my husband and this wonderful Christmas gift he got me.


This book is phenomenal!  
It is a wealth of information and has absolutely wonderful step by step photos for some of the more complicated breads.

I've now made a few things from this book, with really good results.
So good in fact that I decided to try my hand at croissants.
You might think - pffft what's there to a croissant.
Let me tell you...a whole lot!

This is not a recipe you can start last minute as it needs to rise,
 and start working it's magic in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, there is rolling, folding and waiting...waiting for the dough to be just right.
Then shaped in to perfect crescents and then some more waiting.
Then after what seemed like an eternity, it gets baked.
After baking, there's still more waiting
 as the butter settles into all the nooks and crannies.

Then, finally after all the hard work there is this....
(insert some sort of angelic sound effect here)


and of course you can't forget the inside...


It was delectable!
Decidedly the best croissant I've ever eaten.
Slightly warm, the faintest hint of sweet dough, 
the wonderful crunch of the egg washed exterior and lots of flaky crumbles.
Just the way it was meant to be!

It transported me to a Paris cafe,
not that I've actually ever been there before, but you get the idea.

So next Sunday morning...
I think I might just be having breakfast in Paris again!

Are you a fan of the croissant?

11 comments:

Annette Beanland said...

Oh my goodness, that looks absolutely divine! You sure know how to tease a girl. I love croissants but have never had a homemade one. I think the waiting would kill me! I would say you are a baker!!

thewovenspoke said...

Wow! I have been baking breads since childhood, but never croissants. Good job, your'e making my mouth water:)

Kelly said...

Wow, that looks sooooooooo yummy! When I was in Italy for a summer during college, I loved to eat chocolate filled croissants. So so delicious! Good for you for making them!

Mrs Deer said...

Of course! I'm a fan!
Amazing book!

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Oh, baking is my passion! Lately I've been trying to make rye sourdough starter but I gave up for now... It just doesn't happen, I guess it's too cold right now.

lisaroyhandbags said...

That looks so yummy! Believe it or not, I've never made any type of bread. Why? I don't know. I love all things carbs so it's not for a lack on interest! Someday I just need a good kick in the pants and I'll try it. Gosh- I could just eat my computer screen right now!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Gosh me, I think you are incredibly brave to make croissants and they look amazing :)

I LOVE croissants, haven't been to Paris for them yet but we do have an awesome french bakery close by, so anytime I have a craving.........but they also have delicious creamy chicken and leek and mushroom vol a vents and amazing bread, so I usually end up spending a LOT of money there but everyone in the family loves these goodies, so it's good to spoil people :)

And I gave up making flaky pastry a long time ago, LOL!!! :)

Have a lovely day, cheers, T. :)

Almost Precious said...

Wow Meeling the croissant looks perfect ! Indeed I did hear an angelic choir sing out ! And the interior is so wonderfully flakey, I bet a professional baker could not do any better. Shoot, now I'd love a cup of tea, some butter, marmalade and one of your delicious croissants. Yum!

Additionsstyle said...

I love croissants and yours look amazing! I think that is awesome that you made your own croissants and actually any bread at all. I am not a baker, but you sure have inspired me to want home baked goodies.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Handmade in Israel said...

Oh wow! I am drooling! Your photos, your descriptions! All just heavenly!!!

SummersStudio said...

So true, that once you've gone down the home backed bread path you can't go back. Bread is my favorite thing to bake and I back most of ours. Your croisant is perfect! They are not the easiest thing to bake so I take my hat off to you. Well done.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...