Saturday, January 19, 2013

Focus on Life - Catching Up 1,2 & 3


52 week badge



I may be a little late to the party due to computer problems, but I figured better late than never.
I'm joining Sally over at
for a year long blog challenge.

The plan is simple really.
Each week we receive a prompt.
Then we have one week to capture that "prompt" with our camera and show what it means to us.
The focus is to take a look at your life, 
your surroundings in a different way and capture it on film.
I think it's a very interesting idea for 2013,
 and a great way to look back at the end of the year.

Normally, I'll just be posting one challenge each week, 
but because I'm playing catch up this time there will be three.

Week One
Self Portrait



Self portraits are tough.
Do you smile?
Should I look serious?
Do I show my whole face?
I'm not super comfortable in front of the camera, but not overly shy either.
This picture isn't my most glamorous by far, but it captured me.
Wearing my favorite color, in one of my favorite rooms in the house, doing what I love - cooking.
So I felt like it showed me for who I am.

Certain things define us visually.
For me, it's my red hair.
It's the one thing that always stands out, but in this photo it kind of faded into the background and other things stood out - that's why I chose this photo.


Week Two
Your Word

This is really a tough challenge...one word!!
I really thought long and hard about what word would I want to keep for the whole year.
That's a long time to stay committed to a single defining "unit-of-language".

I don't really make New Years resolutions, but thinking about what I'd like to accomplish this year.
All the things I'd like to do involve
FOCUS
So that's what I've chosen to be my word.


I think my favorite synonym is "heart".
When you truly focus on something or someone, 
it becomes the center or the life of things.

My goal for 2013 is to stay focused.


Week Three
Take Time

Do you take time for yourself?
That was our challenge this week.

I have to say, this is something that I'm actually really good about doing.
I take a few minutes every day to go and sit in my favorite corner in our bedroom.
It's a calming space.
 I read, watch a little tv, flip through a magazine, call a friend & chat on the phone.
As long as it's something that isn't work, family or household related.
I find it very helpful to take your mind off everyday things - even if it's just for a few minutes.
It perks up my mood every time and I always feel refreshed.


Do you have a favorite spot that you like to go to?

Thanks for playing catch up with me and I hope you'll follow along with me through 2013.


Want to see what others are capturing on film for their focus?
Come take a peek...



Have a great weekend!


33 comments:

Patti Van said...

Welcome! Love your self portrait - you look so confident...something I need to work on! Focus is a word that resonates with me as well. And from reading your post, and all the others, this "do for me" time is so important to our overall well being, isn't it!? Congrats on not just recoginzing that you need "me time" but that you actually "do it"!

AntiquityTravelers said...

welcome! whatcha cook'n? that first photo looks like you've got something serious going on in your kitchen - LOL! But love that wonderful spot in your bedroom - it would be a great place to relax

Claire said...

lovely to meet you and catch up! and your corner is very restful...*sigh*
have a great week!
[no. 13 this week]

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

Great to see your beautiful smile Meeling!
I hope you take some time to focus on yourself in the coming week! LOL! Too korny?
Thanks for stopping by my blog lately.
Denise

Annette Beanland said...

I'm so glad you could join in Meeling! I only know you through your blog but I think your self portrait really does capture what I know!
Focus is a good word and one that I could have easily chosen as well.
I love that you have a special place to go for taking time. I never did that!

Beti Horvath said...

Love your group of "assignments"
for the three weeks.

LoriF said...

Welcome, Meeling! Glad you're joining us....maybe you can teach me how to cook LOL!

Tanya said...

Wonderful photos. It looks like you had a busy week. I am so glad you have such a nice space to unwind. I love your portrait. You look so comfortable in the kitchen.

Alicia said...

Glad you're joining in! Love your pictures - and especially your space, it is looking so calm and inviting... and so are the fruits in your robot!

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Great way for some "you" time! I have a chair in my bedroom that's main use is to drape clothes over! My favorite spot is my studio. I wish it were large enough for a seating area so that I could peruse my art books in a creative environment...maybe someday.

Emakaye said...

Welcome to the focus on life. I am loving Sally's prompt. So very nice to meet you.

Laura Twiford said...

Glad you are joining us! I love the self portrait, you can tell by the glowing smile just how much you enjoy being in the kitchen, being creative there. Your corner looks very peaceful and joining a photo voyage for the year is also a great way to focus! gerat ;post!

Laura Twiford said...

Sorry, that would be GREAT post! :)

Patty Woodland said...

I was late too....
I can see why you would want to sit there - your bedroom is lovely.

Handmade in Israel said...

I am going to enjoy reading more about you. This is a great start!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Awesome self-portrait - you look so happy :) Great word too - need a little bit of that too! Love your cozy corner for reading and chilling!

Crafty Gal Linda said...

I love your self portrait! You are adorable. Your word is something I ammalways telling myself, reminding myself. FOCUS LINDA! :) all of your pics are beautiful and I like your space that you use to have your me time.

Alice said...

Welcome to the party! First, I have to say I love your blog name!!! I'm intrigued.

What a great self portrait! And I love that you have a favorite spot to just relax.

Karen Williams said...

Glad you joined in! Great catch up. And a fabulous self-portrait - I like that you included yourself in one of your favorite environments doing something you love.

Additionsstyle said...

Glad you were able to work out your computer problems and you are able to post again. I love your self portrait, your true self really shows through. It looks like it will be a fun blog challenge and I look forward to all your future posts.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Lola said...

Nice to meet you Meeling! Your self portrait is beautiful and your "calming space" looks quite effective!

Becky Pancake said...

Thanx for joining us Meeling. Great self portrait. I am really camera shy & I could not make myself take a self portrait. This is supposed to be a fun activity and it was stressing me so I skipped the first one. Last week I just posted on my blog & forgot to link it to Sally's blog so most people didn't see me until this week also. Nice to meet you.

Suzette said...

Glad you joined...your self portrait is beautiful and your spot looks very relaxing! Have a great week! Suzette

Shel said...

Glad you joined along w/the challenge - It's gonna be a fun year! Love all three of your phots, too. Your word - Focus - good one! I also like the place you go to take time for yourself, it looks mightly peaceful for sure.

TesoriTrovati said...

Welcome! I jumped in late and missed the first week, might come back around to that. Focus was my word a few years ago. I like choosing a word as it really does get to the heart of what I need to do and helps me frame my time. Your room looks like a lovely retreat. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day. Erin

Mary K. McGraw said...

Like that you took your self portrait in the kitchen doing something you like doing. Your little corner looks very relaxing.

Pearl and Pebble said...

Great pics! And I love your "you" corner!! Your room looks very fresh and I like your decor alot. I want a corner like that!!!:D

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

It was so much fun playing "catch up" with you :)

Love your self portrait, beautiful :)

Love your word and its synonym :)

Love your calming space :)

I also, have a cup of tea and read every morning in my peaceful chair in my room :)

It helps get my day going :)

Have a lovely day, cheers, T. :)

HundredColors said...

Welcome! And you are a hero- You did in one shot what we did in 3 weeks!!! Isnt that awesome! I liked the color of your dress. Invigorating!

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Hey, orange is my favorite color too! And you look fabulous on that photo! Taking part of a challenge is a great push to one's better self and I applaud you for taking the plunge! Can't wait to see the next challenges!

My Life Under the Bus said...

I love your self portrait it is soooo you! I love when the kids go to school Tessa and I snuggle up for a few minutes before we start our day!

Cynthia@Ornamental Style said...

Thanks for catching up. We're stretching, growing, and learning new things about ourselves. What a lovely self-portrait. Love how you captured your word. And what a serene spot to take time for yourself.

Sally Russick said...

WELCOME!!!!! I'm so thrilled you were able to catch up!!! Meeling, your self portrait is beautiful and it is so nice to see your beautiful face!! I can tell you are doing something you love, it shows in your face!!
I love your "me" space, your bedroom with the muted grey/blue against the crisp white looks like the perfect sanctuary when you need a few moments to your self!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...