Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Free Project




I'm an organized person by nature, 
but at times even the best organizers don't always stay organized.

That brings me to this


a hanging jewelry organizer.  
I've had mine for years and while it certainly is great for smaller items, 
necklaces always seem to get tangled and aren't easily visible.
Mine was a mess!
I wanted a solution to make them more visible, untangled and easily accessible.

Cue Pinterest and all the wonderful ideas that abound.
I took a few different ideas that I saw and made my own hanging necklace board from things I already had around the house...so this project cost me a grand total of free!

Here's a step by step guide to my project.

Supplies

Frame 
(any size - the larger the more room you'll have to hang necklaces - mine is approx 18" sq)
Piece of foam core or cork
(we had an old plastic business yard sign that I used)
Fabric - enough to cover your board and wrap around the edges
Cup Hooks
Paint


I started by cutting the foam core sign to fit inside in the frame.
Then using spray glue I adhered my fabric to the board.



Make sure you do this step in a well ventilated area or outside,
 as this stuff smells very strong and it's super tacky and tends to overspray everywhere.

Fold over the corners neatly, just like you would wrap a gift.


Meanwhile I painted my cup hooks to match my fabric, 
but you could skip this step altogether depending on the look you are going for. 



Once they were dry I screwed them into the foam board,
and inserted it into the frame.


And here is the finished project!


Plenty of untangled hanging space for short and medium length necklaces.


I like how easily it is to see everything. 
I actually found a necklace that I had totally forgot about since it was tucked away in a pouch!


While I have a few longer necklaces that were too long for the board,
I simply put an extra cup hook in the wall next to this to make room for those.

Overall I'm very happy and it didn't cost me anything and only took about an hour to complete.

How do you keep your jewelry stored?

8 comments:

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

WOW!!!

That is so cool :)

And free is always good :)

I'm afraid to say, I do not have much jewelry at all and so what I do have is stored, some of it in tissues paper, in my 2 tiny jewelry boxes.

But one of them is a beautiful music box one my Hubby brought back from a business trip to Vienna, do you think he was feeling a little guilty for going there without me???? I still tease him about it, LOL!!! :)

Have a lovely evening, you awesomely creative lady :) T.

Handmade in Israel said...

What a great board! Good job. (Some nice necklaces too!)

Kelly said...

Wow! That looks great! And I love that it was free. I have a little cabinet that hangs on my wall with foam core and pins inside to store my necklaces.

Annette said...

That is an awesome idea! I LOVE the fabric and colors, and the jewelry looks so nice on it. And there's nothing better than free!
I have a small jewelry armoire that lets everything hang nicely. Yours is so much prettier!

Almost Precious said...

It is lovely and a wonderful idea. You're as clever as Patty of "My Life Under the Bus" . . . wish I could come up with some of these pretty and useful jewelry display ideas.

I have a jewelry box that I keep my personal jewelry in, but too often when things are out of sight they are also out of mind and I find that I don't wear my jewelry as much as I should. I'm sure if I had a display such as the one you've made it would remind me to wear my adornments more often. :)

Mrs Deer said...

Quel super collection!

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Lovely idea! I use a jewelry box but I could try making this organizer as well!

Additionsstyle said...

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...