Thursday, December 13, 2012

Arrosto Misto


I'm a big fan of Jamie Oliver's cooking.
I mean really, what's not to love about the guy.
His meals have an easy going way about them.
They boast wonderful flavors, with the freshest of ingredients.
 He has a way of marrying flavors that just tantalize your taste buds.
If I got to choose to spend an afternoon cooking with a chef - he'd be right at the top of my list!

One of my favorite cookbooks is 


 The whole book is a delight for the senses.
I had been wanting to make for a long time his
lasagne alla cacciatora or hunter's lasagne.
The recipe is not complicated, it just has many steps,
 and is definitely not a fast weeknight meal.

The meat for the lasagne gets roasted in what is called arrosto misto or mixed roast.
Jamie was on The Today Show a long while back, but he talks about this mixed roast method.
You can check out the video here.

The meats get roasted very simply in a high heat oven with salt, pepper, chili flakes,
fresh herbs and citrus. I used a combination of chicken, rabbit and venison, because that's what I had at home, but you really could use any mix of meat that you would like.


The aroma while it cooks is intoxicating and of course
 I had to sneak a little bite when it was done - delicious!
Once it cools you chop and shred all the meat to use in the lasagne.

Then I set about making homemade lasagne noodles, tomato sauce
 and white sauce infused with nutmeg and peppercorns.
Yes...I was in the kitchen all day!

But it was so worth it!!


The bubbling goodness that came out my oven was phenomenal!
I sat down and thoroughly enjoyed every bite.



Do you have a favorite "takes all day to cook" kind of meal?


7 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my word, that looks delicious! Wow!

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

I keep telling myself no to read your blog until I have eaten, LOL!!! :)

That looks so yummy!!! :)

Lasagne is the most time consuming meal I make but I do not make it very often anymore :(

I so love Jamie Oliver, have you seen his TV show that is the companion to the book, amazing :)

Have a lovely weekend, cheers, T. :)

Annette said...

Oh my, that looks and sounds beyond delicious!
I haven't cooked a meal like that in a long time, unless you count Thanksgiving!

Additionsstyle said...

That looks so mouth watering good! I bet your kitchen did smell fantastic, and that it tasted wonderful too. I loved watching Jamie Oliver when he had a show, his recipes are rustic and easy to make.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Handmade in Israel said...

Wow, that looks like hard work but so delicious! Love Jamie!

Almost Precious said...

Meeling, you are incredible ! I truly envy all those lucky souls who are so fortunate to dine at your table. :)
Hope your Christmas was merry and your holidays cherry and bright. May you New Year be happy and blessed with good health, much happiness and abundant prosperity.

ps - is it just me or have blog spammers been on a rampage lately ?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...