Friday, October 19, 2012

What Do You See?


When you look at the picture below,
what's the first thing you see?

I see a sweet little boy, 
busy playing, who ran over to me to give me a giant hug and say hi.

Is that what you see?



Sadly the first thing that a lot of people see is that the little boy isn't like them, "he's different".
 But is he really?
Yes, he is a little boy with Down syndrome, but he doesn't have a disease.
He runs and plays, laughs and loves, and is loved just like any precious little boy or girl should be.
 He has feelings just like anybody does, and responds accordingly.

As some of  my regular readers know, I work with special needs preschoolers.
And yes, while some of the children certainly have some extra challenges presented to them,
they are preschoolers just like any other.  They love Buzz & Woody and Dora, cars and dolls.
They laugh when you tickle them and they cry when they fall down and scrape their knee.

October is  


There are lots of ways that you can get involved,
 you can find out more here on ndss.

Involvement can be as simple as our own attitude towards people with Down Syndrome.
Remember above all they are people, people with feelings just like you.
They don't want to be called names, just like you wouldn't want to be.
Terms like retarded are hurtful, and simply not cool.

So take a minute and pop over to the ndss to see how you can get involved.
You might just realize that you have something of value to offer.
I can tell you from personal experience that your life will certainly be a lot richer for it.


9 comments:

Annette said...

Thank you for sharing the info about the NDSS and the reminder that children are children no matter what they face. These are the sweetest little faces and smiles!

Creative Atelier said...

Thank you for such an informative post. I love the pic, such a cute precious boy:)

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Wonderful post, Meeling :)

First I saw two lovely people smiling, then I saw gorgeous colours and patterns (the Artists eye :) with lots of sunshine :)

Have a lovely weekend, cheers, T. :)

Additionsstyle said...

What an inspiring post! Thanks for Sharing all the info about NDSS and all the precious photos.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

JooJoo said...

I'm so proud of you my friend. Have you watched this movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116581/

I've warched it twice in theatre. It's so humanistic.

Kelly said...

What a sweet little guy. Wonderful post!

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

I see two beautiful people who were created by God and who are exactly the way they were meant to be...
Beautiful blessings!
Denise

Almost Precious said...

I hadn't even notice that the child had Downs until I read further into your post, then I had to scroll back up and look more closely.
They may look just slightly different and may find learning certain things challenging but they tend to be the most caring and loving beings that God has ever created. :) We could all take a lesson from them.

lisaroyhandbags said...

What a sweet little boy with an amazing smile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...