Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Heaven


 So I'm kind of a sucker for anything pumpkin.
Pie, lattes, cookies, ice cream...you name it,
I love it!

Lately I've seen a few pumpkin doughnut recipes and I knew I must try to make them.
When I saw one for "baked" pumpkin doughnuts
(yes, insert twinkling lights here)
I knew that was the one!

So here's how they turned out...


 Delicious!!

 And another shot....


They were light and fluffy, moist and just slightly chewy.
I didn't for one mouthful miss any of the deep fried taste or calories
 that you get with a traditional doughnut. 

You will need one of these fancy doughnut pans to get the shape.
I found mine at Homegoods for about $7 and considering it's made by Wilton,
I don't imagine they should be too hard to locate.



So here is my version of the perfect Fall treat tweaked just a bit from here.

I will also give my disclaimer here that I'm not a very good baker.
Well, actually let me rephrase that.
I'm not a traditional, by the rules baker, where you level things off and measure exactly.
I bake like I cook. 
I kind of eyeball most things.
Yes, I am aware that baking is a "science" and technically you need the exact amount of this and that for it all to work out, but so far it's served me well.
So, anyways here's the moment you've all been waiting for.
Doughnuts
(Yields 12 donuts)

  A scant 2 cups of all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder - not leveled off
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Freshly grated nutmeg - about 1 teaspoon
Freshly grated ginger - about 1/2 teaspoon
Pinch of Allspice
(just a note that you could probably substitute Pumpkin Pie Spice for all the spices if wanted)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar - not packed
1 egg
  2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  Approx 1 cup canned pumpkin 
(I doubled my recipe and used a full 15 oz can)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350º F
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices and set aside. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; 
whisk oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk/cream until combined. 
Add the dry ingredients gradually and stir slowly until combined. 
  Scrape batter in to a pastry bag or a 1 gallon zip bag with a corner cut off.
Fill each doughnut cup about 3/4 full with the batter.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until donuts spring back when gently pressed. 
Turn donuts on to a wire rack and allow to cool for a few minutes. 
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
(optional - but I mean really, why wouldn't you)

1/2 stick of unsalted butter melted
1/3 cup sugar
Cinnamon to taste - Approx 1 Tablespoon
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. 
While doughnuts are still warm, brush with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. 
They were fantastic warm and the few that actually managed to avoid consumption till the next morning were just as scrumptious with coffee for breakfast.
Just in case you need one more photo to drool over....


So do you love everything pumpkin too?

10 comments:

Almost Precious said...

They do look really delicious and I love the fact that they are baked, not fried. A tasty donut without the guilt. :)

gretchenmist . . . {belinda} said...

i had no idea there could be a healthier version of the doughnut! amazing. thanks for your encouragement :)

Annette said...

Oh, Meeling, thank you, thank you!! I've had these on the brain since you posted them on FB!! I need to get the doughnut pan and then I can't wait to make them!
And YES I love everything pumpkin too!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

They just look so yummy :)

I'm like you I definitely "eyeball" it when it comes to cooking and baking :)

Most of my cookbooks I brought with me from England, so I never convert, I just "wing it" and I do not have a kitchen scales but everything comes out fine in the end :)

It is more fun that way :)

Thank you for your sweet words :)

Have a lovely evening,

cheers, T. :)

Elizabeth Aley said...

Stop it! I only got a few lines into the post before starting to drool.

These look amazing. I too have a soft spot for Pumpkins...

Hope you are well.
e

Additionsstyle said...

I am not a fan of pumpkin, but these look so good and I love that they are baked.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Kelly said...

Wow, those look sooooo good! Yum! I adore all things pumpkin in the fall.

Miranda Rommel said...

These look delicious!!
Thanks for linking up to EAt Make Grow - Please be sure you post a link back, though!

Handmade in Israel said...

Ooh, these look and sound amazing! We love pumpkin soup in this house.

lisaroyhandbags said...

You are killing me! i could eat that entire plate. We love pumpkin pie and pumpkin loaf. And I'm sure I'd love pumpkin donuts if I tried these!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...