Monday, October 22, 2012

My Jeans Don't Fit



Cooler temperatures are bad for me...I mean really bad!
Why?
It brings out the baking flu!!
Seriously, all I want to do is bake.
Which in turns means I eat said baking, which in turn means my jeans don't button so well...
Vicious cirlce!

A while back I stumbled across this book in the clearance section at a local store.


As to why it was marked down I don't understand, 
because it is truly one of the best baking tips and resource books I've ever come across. 
Clear text & pictures are great for a beginner and also for someone more advanced.
But, hey my $2, yep you read that right, was very well spent!!

So this weekend, I figured instead of baking something sweet I'd make bread!
I have made bread before, but it's been a very long time.
I used to own a bread maker and while they can be very handy and turn out some nice loaves, 
there is something about bread completely from scratch, made with your own two hands.

So how did it go?

(cell phone picture as my camera battery was dead - I apologize if the quality is a bit low)

I think really well!

That was my first loaf with sunflower seeds, poppy and sesame seeds.
The perfect toasting or sandwich bread.
Eating it reminds me of being a kid, as I grew up eating homemade bread that my grandma baked.
There is something dense and hearty about homemade
 that you just don't get from store bought bread.
No preservatives.
 Flour, yeast, salt, water and a little olive oil...that's it!

I also made a rosemary & thyme loaf, perfect for sandwiches
 or to serve with pasta as a garlic bread alternative.

I think I may have found my new winter hobby!!

What's your favorite thing to bake?



9 comments:

Annette said...

That looks really good! I bet your house smelled divine too. It's been many many years since I've made bread. My husband got into bread making a few years ago and every weekend for about 2 years he made loaves for us and to give to friends.
I love to bake but if I have to pick a favorite I would choose cookies. Maybe because that's what I bake the most of!

Holly said...

Oh yum! That looks amazing, and your house must've smelled wonderful! I love making bread...with a bread machine ;) Don't have the patience or time to do it the old fashioned way! My fave bread to make is an egg bread. So good and rich. As to other things to bake that are fun? Chocolate Chip Cookies. Everyone's favorite, and they never last the day!

Almost Precious said...

Oh yum, that looks so good. Nothing tastes quite as nice as fresh baked bread still warm from the oven. I think it's been a million years since my home was filled with the savory aroma of homemade bread.

Yes, unfortunately winter seems to bring on a craving for hearty foods: rich bean soups, stews, noodles, dumplings. Whereas Summer makes us crave cool, crisp salads. Go figure? :D

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

OMGoodness, that looks so yummy :)

I haven't made bread in forever, back in school I think, LOL!!! :)

We LOVE to buy bread from the many indie bakeries around town, I know I just can't compete with them :)

My fav. to bake, gotta be a Victoria Sandwich Cake, a huge fav, in this house with a good cuppa Earl Grey :)

Have a lovely Monday, cheers, T. :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm that looks so good! I love bread. Actually, I love baking. And carbs. I love baking cake. Too bad I've had to switch to a low GI diet so all those yummy things can no longer be on my list of faves. Why can't fruit be as satisfying? :)

Additionsstyle said...

That looks and sounds so wonderful. I love the smell of baking bread, and eating it too! I love to cook but not bake, your family is very lucky that you do both so well! Enjoy all your winter baking.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Kelly said...

I have never baked bread! That looks fabulous, though! We bake a lot of cookies over here. Like every other day....I eat sooooo much when I'm nursing.

Sandra Monat said...

Meeling, that´s a perfect hobby for the cold days. Who does not love fresh bread and why don´t I take more time to bake more often too...

Handmade in Israel said...

Meeling, that look delicious! I bake cupcakes when I feel the need to bake, but fortunately I have small people in the house who polish them off quickly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...