Monday, September 17, 2012

Don't Forget The Maps And The Martinis


Slightly eccentric is how one might describe 
Mame Dennis, better known and loved the world over as
Auntie Mame.
I always wished for an aunt just like her - how divine it would have been!

When first published in 1955, Patrick Dennis’ Auntie Mame sold over two million copies and stayed on the New York Times bestseller list for 112 weeks! 
It was first made into a play, and then a movie starring Rosalind Russell.  
The movie is one that I've watched more times than I can count since I was a child,
but can you believe that I've never read the book?
Shame on me!!!

Well, no more... 
A fresh copy has arrived on my doorstep and I'll be devouring it this week!


I can't wait to get started.
I predict a whole lot of laughter in my future!



Do you have a favorite book or movie that you go back to time and time again?

*****

Happy Monday and make sure you pop back later this week for my
2nd Blog Birthday!
I've got some fabulous giveaways coming your way!!

6 comments:

Almost Precious said...

I've not read the book either, though I have seen the movie versions (both - with Rosalind Russell and Lucille Ball - must admit I prefer Rosalind's portrayal best).
I love the eccentric, straight-forward honesty of the title character, Auntie Mame.
I'll definitely have to pick up the book sometime.

Additionsstyle said...

I have seen that movie a couple of times but never read the book. You will have to let us know if they are similar. One of my favorite movies, that I have seen over and over again since I was young, is Gidget (with Sandra Dee). It always makes me smile.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Annette said...

I have to admit I've not seen the movie or read the book. It sounds like I need to do both! My favorite book as a girl growing up was Little Women and I have read it umpteen times over the years.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Haven't read the book but saw the movie so long ago I barely remember it. The only movie I go to time and time again is A Christmas Story which I watch every year - who can resist that leg lamp? :)

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

I feel like a total idiot that I haven't heard of the movie or the book :(

I will have to rectify that, won't
I :)

Sorry, I'm a little slow on my blog commenting right now (explanation next time I blog)

A Big congrats on your 2 year Anni. You know I still remember what I said in my first comment on your blog, well, you did ask, LOL!!! :)

Water under the bridge :)

My absolute favourite movie of all time is "Chariots of Fire" followed very closely by "Out of Africa" both have inspired me in the past nearly 30 years over and over not to give up :)

As they are based on true life stories of dogged determination to overcome.

Anyway, my dear, have a lovely evening, cheers, T. :)

Sarah B. said...

I've never heard of it but I'm intrigued!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...