Monday, June 18, 2012

Pantry Salad


I was rummaging through my pantry the other day,
 and came across a bag of pearl barley that was looking a little neglected.
Definitely too hot to make soup.
So, hmmmm....what could I make?

I searched a little online for some inspiration and came across this.
Other than the barley cooking time, it came together in about 15 minutes.

Barley, Feta & Pear Salad






It had wonderful texture from the barley, a hint of sweet from the pears, 
a touch of salty from the feta and an ever so slight bitter taste from the radicchio.
You even got a crunch from the toasted walnuts.
Perfectly balanced flavors!

It was a wonderful side dish and vegetarian too, so that's always a nice option.
You could also make it into a main course by adding a protein, 
grilled chicken would be a great addition! 
A welcome change to summer's old standbys, macaroni and potato salad.

I know it will be making an appearance here again soon.

Do you have a favorite summer dish?

11 comments:

Annette said...

This sounds really good. I've been looking for something different. One of our favorites for summer is caprese salad with homegrown tomatoes. I can't get enough of it, lol!

Happy Frog and I said...

As a vege I'm always on the look out for new recipes so thank you. Having said that I'm lucky that my other half creates most of the meals in our house. I hope all is well with you. x

Rebecca said...

Sounds delicious! I love a sweet bean salad in the summer.

Hope you are having a great week:-)

Idelis Thordarson said...

Yummy yummy! Sounds so good! Definitely gonna have to try this one. :-)

Pearl said...

I would definitely try that!

Pearl

Handmade in Israel said...

Yum! I have been adding pear to all my salads this summer - delicious!

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

What an interesting combination! Now let me think about a favorite summer recipe... Definitely it is Tarator - a cold summer soup made by yogurt, cucumbers, garlic and dill. I can east it all day every day!

Additionsstyle said...

That salad sounds like a perfect combination for summer. I love barley and I am always looking for new ways to prepare it, thanks for sharing.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Sarah B. said...

I never would have thought to put these ingredients together, but this looks delicious!! :)

My Life Under the Bus said...

Mmmmmmmmm that looks yummy! I've been mixing quinoa into everything - even made tabbouleh with it. My all time favorite thing in summer is either a good old tomato sandwich yeah white bread mayo and home grown tomato or a tomato salad with red onion and fresh basil a big hunk of bread and I'm good! Stay cool my friend.

thestoryofkat said...

That looks good and sounds good...think it's going to have to go on my list. I love salads with whole grains in the summer time. The cooking time for the grains gets me too but I figure at least it makes a ton.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...