Monday, June 11, 2012

Norwegian Score


I don't often go thrifting at our local stores.
To be honest there is usually a lot of junk and it's just not worth my time.
But, I needed to go today and try to find something that I likely wouldn't find anywhere else.
Well it turns out I didn't find it there either.

But what I did find were these...


Sitting there all alone.
Well, all alone in their Mid Century Norwegian Glory!!

I did a double take - really?!?!
I turned them over and yep - Made In Norway stamped on the bottom - Ummm...the bottom of all 5!!


If you aren't familiar with this iconic design they are Cathrineholm Bowls.

 Cathrineholm was an ironworks located near the town of Halden, Norway, which started production in 1907. Originally the ironworks manufactured wrought iron products and agricultural equipment, but due to changing economic circumstances it evolved into producing enamel kitchenware. 
The company closed in 1970.

The enamel cookware are the designs of Grete Prytz Kittelsen.
She was a goldsmith, an enamel artist and a designer.
Her designs date from the 1950's and feature plain solid colors and simple shapes.
The bowls I found today feature her Lotus design.


While these bowls aren't impossible to find, 
they do make regular appearances on etsy and ebay, they are extremely expensive.
I've seen these tiny bowls go for upwards of $50 for one! 
It's not unheard of for some colors to fetch even more, at times over $100!!

So when I saw them sitting there and the tag said all 5 bowls for $7.99 - I just about fell over.
I clutched them tight and ran to the register - well, not really, but I wanted to,
 except I was wearing flip flops!

I've never been able to justify buying any of the bowls before because of the price, but today,
obviously that little piece of Norway was coming home with me ...
Well actually 5 little pieces!!


Talk about jump starting my collection...and in orange no less!!

What's the best "find" you've ever made?
 

14 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

oh my god, I would have died! That's an amazing score - obviously someone didn't know what they were giving up and neither did the person pricing them :)

Jeff Hardy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah B. said...

Oh wow!!! What a treasure!! Way to score big at the thrift store :)

Additionsstyle said...

Wow, what a treasure! The bowls are a great style and color. Enjoy your find!
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Oh, I got the goosebumps all over my body! You are so lucky! These beauties make such rare appearances in Norway and are so expensive... way more than $50 a piece! Amazing luck indeed! And they are so beautiful! I wish to make many precious memories eating from these bowls!

Kelly said...

Lucky!!!!! I would have FREAKED out!!!

Nells Vintage House said...

That's a great find!! Catherine Holm is on my thrifted treasures bucket list. I was just able to cross an item off of that list last week- vintage pull down school maps. I found 2 of them :)

Pearl said...

LOVE those bowls. Would've picked them up in a heartbeat.

My favorite find was an unopened original Husker Du pressing (punkish Mpls band). Score! (Also got a leather jacket that fits like a glove almost a month ago now for $3. Crazy.)

Pearl

My Life Under the Bus said...

That is a *START THE CAR* purchase - you make a run for it because you are sure someone is going to catch you! lol SCORE!

Rebecca said...

Wow - nice score!!! Love the color and they look like they are in great condition!

Annette said...

WOW, lucky you!!!! I quit going to the thrift stores here because I never found anything. Maybe I should start going again!

Angela said...

Oh you lucky, lucky girl!! Great score and LOVE the red!!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

They are gorgeous and what a find, congrats!!!

What were you looking for originally??? :)

I LOVE it when that happens but it happens so rarely :)

The only thing I can think of is that when I was first married I made a pair of fully lined curtains in this beautiful fabric that was on sale for the large windows in our living room, well, we end up moving a year later to a house that had windows at both ends of the room, so long story short, I was able to track down the very last yardage of this fabric at a shop in Birmingham, over a 100 miles away, this was before the internet, YAY ME!!! These still proudly hang in my home today (3 homes later :)

Love your inspirational story (I think I got carried away, LOL!!)

Have a lovely evening, cheers, T. :)

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Love them bowls, good catch.
Come visit my blog too since we swap on swap-bot together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...