Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Little Felt DIY


 This was my inspiration piece.
I loved the texture of the felt and the simplicity of the colors.
It fit my style perfectly.


That was until I saw the price tag.
$699
Yes, that's six hundred and ninety nine dollars!!
(insert popping cartoon eyeballs here)

Ouch!!
Like, that wasn't going to happen...so I had to figure out how to create something similar for waaaaaaaaaaay less money!

A little searching online led me to 
and Monique's wonderful assortment of die-cut felt pieces, both wool and acrylic.

I chose a simple leaf style
 and had Monique do up a custom order in colors that would work for my project.


Now for the frame....Hmmm...
Got it....IKEA to the rescue!


Now for a little glue...


A piece of natural linen fabric to serve as the background.
Spray glue held it in place around the cardboard insert that came with the frame.
Some felt leaf arranging until I got it just right, then some tacky glue to hold them all in place.
And...Voila!





 I'm so pleased with the way it turned out,
and it looks right at home in it's mid century surroundings!

Felt $18
Frame $20
Glue and Fabric - in my stash
Total cost for a custom one of a kind art piece $38!!!

Do you have a favorite art piece in your home?

17 comments:

Alessia Morello said...

On my wall is full of photos from holidays and funny moments! Nothing of artistic! Anyway is a very interesting post! Cool!

Additionsstyle said...

Wow, that turned out great! It looks amazing in you home. It is nice to be able to get inspired by a piece that is not affordable and create something that is perfect for your space.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Meeling, you clever girl that is such a cool piece and works great in the space you hung it. (You are going to put us artists out of work, LOL!!!

My fav. piece of artwork has to be the life size sculpture we have of our family instead of a photography portrait, it is cool, I was going to add a link 'coz I thought I blogged about it a long time ago but obviously I never got around to it, now you have got me thinking of a blog post (He! He!)

Thanks :)

Have a lovely evening, cheers, T. :)

Rebecca said...

Wow - I love the design and composition! Good job!! I would love to have that piece in my own home.

I have too many favorite pieces of art to pick just one :-)

Annette said...

Wow, what a creative and gorgeous solution you came up with. It's just perfect!

Kara said...

Ah! It's way way too cute! Definitely linking this to Pinterest!

Sprightly Fabrics said...

I am always amazed and inspired by what my customers can create with these little felt pieces.

Maybe some day I'll get around to trying out something like this since I have the materials, LOL! I don't have much art except what my kids make, but hey, the best art is most often handmade. ;)

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Wow. what a price! I totally understand why you felt a creativity surge :) Your version is so beautiful, much different from what got you going but so stylish! I secretly hope there will be more felt inspiration from you!

Sarah B. said...

Wow!!! That project turned out amazing! You could totally sell those creations :)

Pearl said...

:-) That's fantastic.

I decorate mightily for Christmas, and some of my favorite things to hang on the walls are simply matted cards. Spray paint a garage-sale frame gold and voila! Fish and chips. :-)

Pearl

Happy Frog and I said...

Very impressive! I have favourite photos in frames and have a lot of large posters up in my house instead of art at the moment.

Kelly said...

What?!?!?! I LOVE it! I can't believe you made that! It looks great!

Handmade in Israel said...

I missed this post! I LOVE what you made. What a great job you did of it.

lisaroyhandbags said...

wow- nice job! So much better than your inspiration piece :)

My Life Under the Bus said...

...um and I have to say....I like yours even more...no I LOVE yours!!! Fantastic!

Angela said...

OMGosh -- you did a fantastic job on that! Love it!

Kelly said...

Wow, what an awesome piece! I actually prefer it to the original inspiration art. Love the scale too. SO well done! Thanks for linking it up to Ditto DIY!

Kelly @ View Along the Way

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...