Saturday, May 5, 2012

Eeeeek!! Eels!

 Portobello Road in London has a fantastic vibe!
 It's a friendly looking area, 
with tons of antique shops and great little boutiques.

It was somewhere that I had picked to visit, my son knowing little about it,
yet it turned out to be one of his favorite places that we visited in London.
 The best thing by far...
was this place!!


Delicious warm crepes filled with delicious, sweet Nutella!!
Heavenly!

As we kept walking we also found an orange cow at this place...

 The absolute best gelato that I've had outside of Italy.
Indiana thought so too!!
It was a sweet filled day and oh so worth every calorie filled bite...yum!!

Then there was a food adventure of another kind.
A tube ride out to East London...


 Then a walk to find this place...
 It required a small consult enroute with my GPS as we got a little lost - all part of a good adventure!
You are greeted by the gold-lettered name on a dark green board above the door.


Inside it's marble counters and tabletops, simple wooden benches, 
yellow tiled walls and sawdust on the floor.
The place has a great presence, an old world feeling that's inviting.


Cooke's has been an East End fixture since 1910, serving a crusty rectangular meat filled pie next to a mound of mashed potatoes in a pool of intense green parsley "liquor", which is kind of like a gravy.

 It was warming and very filling.
The pie and mash were really tasty and the parsley liquor was very interesting.
Hard to describe really, fresh tasting yet it had a gravy quality to it.
A little of this shaken over the top added an extra flavor kick.
And then there were these...
Those are eels...swimming in a pool of the parsley liquor.
I had to try them, I'd flown 5000 miles, 
taken a tube ride to the far reaches of London to find this place.
Of course now that they were staring back at me...I wasn't so convinced this was a great idea.

Well...with the owner looking on, I tried them.
The eels hit my tongue and I wasn't sure whether to cry, run or spit them out.
Fishy, slimy, slightly crunchy and rather like a mouthful of glue!!
Not quite what I was expecting.
I managed to swallow that bite and only that bite!

The owner was this cheerful little lady and as we chatted she asked for my honest opinion.
Oh boy...how to be tactful.
I said "the pie and mash were really good", which they were.
"The eels" I said, "I think they must be an acquired taste."
To my great relief, she laughed and proceeded to say
"they're horrible, probably the worst thing ever" she also said "they're chewy and like eating glue."
We all had a good laugh,
 and I felt so much better that I wasn't the only one that didn't think they were so great!

It was a fun adventure of a day and one I won't forget anytime soon.

It was time to say goodbye to London and hop on a train...

Where to?
Manchester!!

To meet up with a blog friend, Jamie Oliver and a whole lot of football!!!

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! It looks like you are having a fantastic time! and the eels...you're a braver woman than I!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

What a fun time you guys had :)

Eels, yikes! I think you have to be born an Eastender to like those things, LOL!! :)

Have a lovely weekend, T. :)

Handmade in Israel said...

I am loving reading about your visit! Eels - yuk! I am so familiar with Manchester too... can't wait to read more!

thestoryofkat said...

The jellied eels certainly make for a great story though. I'm not sure if I could have been that brave! I recognize so many snapshots from your trip as we made many of the same stops on our honeymoon...so jealous, have fun!!!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Gaaaaaaaaaaaa your a braver woman then me. My best friend growing up had a grandma that was off the boat from Italy and used to kill eels by swinging them and knocking them out on the basement stairs! The first time I opened the door to see what was going on I almost died!!! They are even grosser alive!

Tara said...

Thank you for the introduction to Portobello Road, now added to my list of places to visit when I eventually visit London. The eels are not on my list. :)

Additionsstyle said...

Your adventure sounds like so much fun. I think it's very cool that you went to a variety of places outside of the usual tourist spots, and tries so many wonderful foods. The eel soup like stuff sounds pretty awful, but good for you for having a bite.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Such a tasty adventure! Manchester, England, Englaaand - do you remember "Hair"? I love crepes with Nutella!

Annette said...

I would definitely try the Nutella crepes but the eels I'm not so sure! I'm so enjoying these posts and taking note because I hope to someday visit England!

Sarah B. said...

Yum.... gelato! And I love antique stores in Europe - such unique styles and OLD stuff ;)

lisaroyhandbags said...

Portobello Rd is one of my all-time favourite places to spend a day. And you can't help but find some wonderful treasures. And of course you can't beat a nutella crepe (I love bananas in it too). As for the eels, yikes!

Happy Frog and I said...

You've made me so nostalgic for London where I used to live. In fact I used to live very near Bethnal Green and one of my Uncles has a stall at Portobello Market on Saturdays. Perhaps you met him and didn't even know! Great photos :)

Rebecca said...

What a fabulous adventure you had!! Kudos to you for trying the eel - you are truly a brave gal!

Sandra Monat said...

these colored houses are so lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...