Thursday, April 26, 2012

History, Harrods & Hyde Park


London is filled with such great history,
 and we made sure to take in as much as we could.
I had the privilege of visiting Westminster Abbey many years ago,
and was so excited to be back again with my son.

It is truly an amazing place.
I think it's one of my favorite European churches that I've visited.
My son was amazed at the architecture and the sheer size.
You feel humbled somehow stepping across the threshold.


A short walk from Westminster taking in the sights took us to the 
This was a fascinating visit, and while I don't have pictures to share here,
if you are ever in London make sure and take the time to stop in.
It truly gave you a sense of what war time would have been like.
You step back in history, not something we often have the chance to do.


After that it was on to
Harrods
Their food halls are any foodies dream!!

 
We wandered and looked and drooled!!
We sampled some delicious chocolates, chutney and sweets.
I honestly didn't know where to look next.
There was an entire section that was bigger than my local grocery store's meat department,
devoted just to foie gras!
We bought some wonderful sandwiches and enjoyed a little picnic lunch.
I came home with a few delectable goodies, including some wonderful honey.


Then it was off to Hyde Park and a bike ride!
Of course the one day we choose to ride bikes...London poured down on us!!
Oh well, somehow it made for a perfect afternoon.
Laughing, biking and looking rather like drowned rats when we were done!


It was a packed day, but we had a blast.

One more London adventure to come...
 Portobello Road, Gelato and Eels!!
Don't miss hearing about that one!


11 comments:

Handmade in Israel said...

Ooh, now you're educating me! Never been to Harrods or the war rooms. Ideas for my next visit there... You can't visit London without a little rain!

Annette said...

Oh what fun and such great pictures too! Your trip wouldn't have been complete without a little rain!

Elizabeth Gilmore said...

Oh my goodness, what fun! This looks like a very special trip indeed. I absolutely love London. Cant wait to see more adventures!

Hope this finds you well,
e

firefoodie said...

As you say, Harrods food hall is just something else. Lucky you! Looking forward to those eels!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

I so want to go to London just to take that photo of the phone box with Big Ben in the background, I have been tempted to buy it from Etsy but I keep telling myself I will get there and do it eventually :)

Love the shots :)

Oh you know I LOVE Harrods and it was so much fun when it was my "LOCAL" supermarket :)

You know you are killing me with this stuff, I am so homesick, LOL!!! (hopefully next year!)

I am so glad you guys had such a fun trip and I didn't know about the bikes to ride around Hyde Park, that is awesome :)

Have a lovely weekend,

cheers, T. :)

Additionsstyle said...

It sounds like you and your sone had a wonderful time, I hope to get to London one day really soon! Thanks for sharing all the good places to visit. I will be adding Harrods to my list!
Valerie
Everyday inspired

Additionsstyle said...

It sounds like you and your sone had a wonderful time, I hope to get to London one day really soon! Thanks for sharing all the good places to visit. I will be adding Harrods to my list!
Valerie
Everyday inspired

Almost Precious said...

You're collecting a treasure in memories. :)
Harrods looks amazing and I'm drooling over that display counter of pastries and confections ... perfect spot for tea.

Idelis Thordarson said...

This trip looks like such fun!!

lisaroyhandbags said...

oh my gosh - yes! Harrods! That food hall is incredible isn't it? And it wouldn't be a visit to London without a bit of rain - can you believe I actually miss a good rain? It has only drizzled for about 2 min in Dubai all year!

Sandra Monat said...

there is so much inspiration in city trips. Happy you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...