Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey Day


I'm back after a whirlwind week of cooking, baking and entertaining!

I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.
I want to share just a few photos and food highlights from our dinner.

Here is my tablescape...
a little outdoors/garden looking because 
we had planned to host in the backyard this year, 
but our normally gorgeous California weather was rather uncooperative this year,
and we ended up inside!


Brown table cloth, topped with burlap purchased for $2 a yard on clearance 
and then a Pottery Barn runner which I picked up on clearance for $15.


Individual place settings held in place with pages from a thrown out library book I found at work!
I cut out strips on a paper cutter and Voila!


Instead of an expensive arrangement, I purchased flowers from the market and 
put them in a vase with cranberries in the water for a splash of color!



I think it all suited the tablescape very well...even if we were inside!

We started with appetizers early in the afternoon.
This one which I found through my friend Patty was a huge hit!
I had to keep my husband from eating it all the day before...
every time I turned around he was back in the fridge again!




This is the first time I have made this.  I came across the recipe in an old cookbook I had.
It is delicious!  
It was gone...completely!!
Lucky for me...I canned a few jars so I have more!


Then it was time for dinner!!


Turkey of course!
I dry salt brined a couple of days ahead using this herb salt recipe.
Everyone said the turkey was the most moist they'd ever had...
I'd have to agree that it was moist, very flavorful and a definite make again!


Smoked gouda mashed potatoes, so rich and creamy...YUM!

I also made a vegetarian dish...


Sun-dried Tomato, Wild Mushroom & Bourbon Sauced Pasta

I followed this recipe substituting vegetable broth instead of the beef.
Rich, creamy and gobbled up by everyone including my kids!!
This will be a regular pasta dish in our house.

And of course it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without dessert!




This is Chad's favorite pie in the whole world...he makes a special request for it every year.
It's so good and really easy to make.

I also made this Salted Caramel Pie
but somehow forgot to take a photo.
It was a bit of a labor of love, making the caramel in the oven, but oh so delicious.
Very sweet...
a regular size pie yields about 16-20 slices...you don't need much!!

It was a lot of work and the day after I'll admit to taking a tiny nap in the afternoon, but it's so worth it.
Having our home filled with family & friends, enjoying good food and each other's company.

We have so much to be thankful for!

So how was your Thanksgiving?
I'd love to hear how your day went and what wonderful food you ate!



Photobucket

14 comments:

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

Everything looks mouthwatering and delicious! You have such a talent for cooking and for photographing your tasty dishes. :) Of course, way up here in Canada our Thanksgiving was in October so it was a regular weekend but I did get a chance to take a good bite (pun intended) out of my Christmas shopping!
Cheers!
Denise

Annette said...

The tablescape is beautiful and the food looks delicious! My kids cooked a Mediterranean meal that was awesome! We were so full we didn't even eat the pumpkin pie til the next day!

Frannie said...

Oh, such an inviting Thanksgiving table. Fresh.
I didn't cook this year. Went to sister-in-laws for the holiday. But I will say I missed making the holiday meal.

Sarah B. said...

Oh my, your spread is GORGEOUS! Love how you set your table and the food all looks delicious :)

Apey Lee's Homespun Designs said...

Can I come over next year, pretty please?

lisaroyhandbags said...

Oh my gosh! I wish I had been there! Everything sounds so delicious and your table looked beautiful xo

thestoryofkat said...

O my goodness, everything looks so delicious and gorgeous! I want to come to Thanksgiving at your house :) Very impressed!! I do a salt brine when it's my turn to host too—so moist and it gives such a lovely golden touch to the outside too!

Additionsstyle said...

Oh my, you meal sounds so delicious! Your table looked very impressive as well. I would love to know more about the salt brine that you did on the turkey, that sounds like such a good idea.

My Thanksgiving was really simple and quite. It was just me, my husband and daughter, and my sister. We had a few family favorites and enjoyed a relaxed day.

Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Kanelstrand said...

Oh! I just finished with my dinner and here I am, hungry again! Everything you prepared looks so tasty, I am drooling. And the idea of the napkin/cutlery paper holder is spot on! I love it!

My Life Under the Bus said...

I LOVE that runner!!! ...and I only wish I could have been there to sample that dip! Everything looks amazing Meeling!

Rebecca said...

My goodness I would need more than a tiny nap after all of that!

Your table looked so fresh and inviting and the food - well let's just say that I ate a lot at Thanksgiving but now I am hungry all over again!

We had a lovely day at my best friends' home with wonderful food and good cheer.

Kelly said...

Everything looks just delicious! I love the flower arrangement as well! Your home looks so cozy.

Tara said...

Oh Meeling, that looks so freaking good! I'll start with the table: I love all your little details -- the napkin rings, cranberries, the little potted herbs -- all of it. now on to the food: I have to try that ale cheddar dip, the potatoes and all the desserts. Maybe I could just celebrate an American Thanksgiving with you next year? :0)

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

I LOVE that you labeled everything, how thoughtful :)

It all looks so nice and yummy :)

The table amazing :)

Glad you had a wonderful time, but you must have worked your a.. off, I hope someone else did the clearing up, T. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...