Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chili


When the weather gets cooler, my cooking changes.
I make more stews, soups and of course chili!
It's a favorite in our house.

My friend Denise emailed me and asked me to share my chili recipe.
So when I made it recently I took photos so that I could share it with you.

I don't ever use a recipe for my chili, but these are the basic steps that I follow...

I brown up onions, garlic and sometimes chopped celery too.
I add my spices now...it smells so good!


This is how I measure my spices...in my hand, then in to the pot.
I taste as the chili cooks adjusting the seasoning as I go along.
These are my favorite chili spices to use...

cumin (whole and ground)
coriander
chili powder
ancho chile powder
chipotle chile powder



I usually use ground turkey, but you can use ground beef or make it vegetarian if you prefer.
Then I add kidney beans (drained), both light and dark red.



I use fresh tomatoes whenever possible, but if not canned with the juices works great too.
You can also use tomato sauce, tomato soup or even V-8 juice!
I add tomato paste near the end of the cooking time to thicken it up.


Then I add a bottle of beer...something dark like a Guinness.
It rounds out the flavors nicely and adds an interesting warm note to the taste.


Then I let it simmer for about 3 hours.
I check it every 30 minutes or so, stirring, tasting and adjusting seasonings.
Then it's time to eat!!


We like ours topped with...
shredded cheddar cheese
corn chips
sour cream 
and
cilantro
and of course served with fresh cornbread!!


There are so many variations on chili across the country....I'd love to hear about yours.
What's your favorite kind of chili?



Photobucket

13 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm sounds good! I haven't made chili in a while - it's been too hot out but plan on making some soon. My recipe is fairly similar to yours minus the Guiness - sometimes I add in some mushrooms and green pepper too. :) have a great weekend! good luck getting that wallpaper up!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

I have never even eaten chili let alone cooked it :(

I guess I should get on that because your recipe sounds and looks great!!!

I never really looked into what went into it. Of course anything with beer in it has got to be tried (He! He!)

I love making soups and stews, like 12 bean soup or Borsch, it definitely is getting to be that time of year though curling up in my homemade quilt with a bowl of warm soup :)

Have a lovely weekend, T. :)

Annette said...

Oh, this sounds and looks sooooo good! I've made stew with Guinness but haven't tried it with chili. I've been known to add a dash of cinnamon. It's a subtle flavor in the background!

Kelly said...

Yum! That last photo is mouthwatering!

Angela said...

That looks SO good! I sort of cheat when I make it - I get the Chili-O seasoning and just follow the directions - it's really good though. I like to make sausage balls to go with mine.

Rebecca said...

I think my favorite kind of chili might just be yours! That last photo has my mouth watering.

I use beer in my chili too, plus lots of cumin.

Sarah B. said...

That looks so delicious! Chili is the perfect comfort food :). My hubby doesn't use a recipe either and he makes it yummy too!!!

My Life Under the Bus said...

I love beer in my chili too gives it a fantastic flavor. I used half morningstar crumbles half meat - kids don't even know! I throw in corn and chili peppers too. This looks fabulous : )

Additionsstyle said...

Your chili sounds so yummy! I would have never thought to add the beer, but it bet it does give it some good flavor!
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

firefoodie said...

Wow, that does look good. I especially like the crumbled corn chips, nice touch.

Marisa Hopkins said...

Oh man, I have never made chili but that looks too good not to attempt! And I think my hubs will LOVE that it had Guinness! YUM!

Tara said...

I never thought of adding beer to chili, Meeling. Sounds delicious. I'll have to try it next time.

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

Meeling,
I haven't gotten a chance to try out your recipe yet. My husband does not like chili so I can't really make it very often. I personally don't like kidney beans so I use canned brown beans and garbanzos instead. And beer, well that isn't something that we usually have on hand either. Would any kind of beer do in this recipe or are some better than others for use in cooking?
Thanks for mentioning me as a friend too :) I'm tickled pink! I missed your post on the weekend because I was busy with a craft show.
Have a great one!
Denise

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...