Friday, September 16, 2011

Spaghetti Spruce Up


I'd love to say that I cook something gourmet,
beautiful and completely from scratch every night,
but the reality is I don't.
There is this little thing called life!

work 
family
teenagers
homework
soccer practices
housework

Did I mention soccer practices?
Oh yeah, and those hungry teenagers!!

Some nights I'm just too tired or I don't have the time.
It's those nights that I turn to a 
"Spruce Up"
Quick tips to liven up some store bought ingredients.

In this case 

Spaghetti Spruce Up

* Cook your favorite pasta/noodles while you prepare the sauce *

Brown 1 pound ground turkey or beef in a deep skillet.
Add one jar of store bought pasta sauce...whatever your favorite flavor is.


Rough chop one jar of marinated mushrooms.
Add to the skillet, including the marinade from the jar.
Also add one medium size wineglass of red wine,
or about 3/4 cup.


Rough chop some black or green olives
You can put more or less depending on your preference,
I use a large handful as my measurement.


Simmer slowly over low heat, for about 10 minutes
Adding fresh grated nutmeg and a few torn basil leaves during the last couple minutes of cooking.


Pull out your dinner plates
Add your sauced pasta
Grate some fresh nutmeg and parmesan cheese over top
Add a basil sprig 
and 
Voila


A beautiful, tasty & easy...spruced up dinner.
All in less than 30 minutes.
You can't beat that on a busy weeknight!



Now where are those soccer cleats?


PhotobucketThere's still time...enter my giveaway here

18 comments:

Tina said...

I would really like to see your pantry if this is what is hanging around. I would have had to go to the store. Spaghetti is always welcome in this house-yours looks tasty!

Kanelstrand said...

Mmm, I don't mind fast and tasty dinners! Pasta is a favorite around here, even if it's plain - no tomato sauce and such... so any pasta is destined to be a success!

Dzoli said...

Judging on thsi post you still manage to make really tatsy stuff:)

Tara said...

That is some seriously spruced up spaghetti, Meeling!

Additionsstyle said...

That looks really tasty to me. That's what I love about pasta, a few interesting ingredients and you can create an amazing meal.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

My Life Under the Bus said...

I am so behind this week you are preaching to the choir! I love artichokes...I put them on everything including pizza .... The other night my husband was like , Oh look something new ARTICHOKES hahahahahahaha

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Oh you are such an inspiration, you clever girl :)

Sorry, I haven't been around :(

Have a lovely weekend, T. :)

Kelly said...

I'm a sucker for pasta and this sauce looks so delicious and hearty. By the way, just love the name of your blog!! Cheers.

rebecca said...

Looks delicious. I have never tried nutmeg in pasta sauce - I'm going to have to remember that.

simpledaisy said...

Ok...i'll be right over for dinner:)
That looks fabulous!

Cinna B. said...

Your spaghetti looks fabulous! Most of the other spaghetti photos I've seen look artful, but not as appetizing... You somehow managed to make these look like both - aesthetically pleasing comfort food.

Those lucky teenagers ;)

Sandra Monat said...

pasta, always a good choice for a quick and tasty meal. Your recipes sounds tasty

Paper Plates and China Recipe Blog said...

This sounds incredible! I love being able to throw something together really quick. We have football and volleyball practice that keep us going almost every night. I'm curious about the addition of nutmeg...I'm going to have to try that. When I think of nutmeg, I think of fall baking, not spaghetti sauce. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly said...

This looks easy and delicious! Love it!

ana said...

ooo. i'm going to have to bookmark this for sure. i love pasta & this looks so yummy.

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Like usual -- Yum!!!

lisaroyhandbags said...

Sounds like quick gourmet to me! yum!

Almost Precious said...

Wow, how'd I miss this one? It really looks tasty and sounds like a quick way of turning a drab quick meal into a delicious one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...