Thursday, September 1, 2011

Easy Elegance


I love Jamie Oliver.
Well, maybe love is kind of a strong word, but you get the idea.
I've made many a recipe from his collections and I've never, ever been disappointed. 
His dishes have a certain relaxed flair to them.
I like to think of them as, easy elegance.

It was my husbands birthday a couple weeks back 
and since he didn't want to go out for dinner to celebrate,
I figured I'd make a special meal at home.

After some serious pouring over cookbooks for inspiration,
I decided on Jamie Oliver's
from his Italy cookbook, one of my all time favorites.



The stuffing has pinenuts, olives, bread and herbs, 
and brings this wonderful warm and savory, 
extremely aromatic accompaniment to the leg of lamb.
It gets roasted with baby potatoes, 
fresh rosemary and whole unpeeled garlic cloves.
It's a unfussy recipe to prepare but the finished plate results are beautiful.
For the last 15 minutes I roasted some mini courgettes in the pan to finish out the meal.



I cheated a little on the dessert with some 
store bought mini cheesecakes from Whole Foods,
but I made homemade raspberry sauce to accompany them.
So easy and so delicious. 
Raspberries, sugar, a little water, 
the juice and zest of one lemon.
Simmer until the sugar melts, cool and put through a blender.
It keeps for about a week in the refrigerator and is so good over ice cream!!

It was a lovely family evening at home.
To me those are the best birthdays.
Great food and time with the people that you love.

21 comments:

Angela said...

Mmmmm! Looks SO yummy :)

Almost Precious said...

It looks marvelous and the stuffed lamb leg is very continental Mediterranean cuisine.

I agree that a nice meal at home beats going to a noisy, crowded restaurant where the meal may, or may not be worth the price, a meal like this in a restaurant would cost a small fortune. Plus at home the family can relax and converse and eat at their leisure.

When I make a cheesecake I'm usually the one that ends up eating most of it so your Whole Foods mini cheesecakes are a great idea ... and the raspberry sauce tops it off perfectly. Your hubby certainly ate like a king and I bet he felt like one also.

Additionsstyle said...

It looks wonderful, and sounds like it was a great night.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Handmade in Israel said...

Wow! I don't blame your hubbie for wanting to stay at home. It all looks amazing!!!
Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed seeing the sand sculptures.

Privet and Holly said...

I'd say he
looks very
pleased with
the whole meal!
And why not?
Yum....
xx Suzanne

Sarah B. said...

Looks sooooo delicious! And I love Whole Foods cheesecakes ;)

Kelly said...

Yum! It looks delicious! I am going to have to take a closer look at his cookbooks!

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmmm this looks awesome! I love Jamie Oliver and he really does make some elegant meals with the most basic, fresh ingredients.
Loving your new blog look! :)
Have a lovely long weekend!

Sherri Cassara said...

What a lucky husband you have! The dinner looks amazing! Seriously, my mouth is watering!
(I 'love' Jamie Oliver too!).
I just found your blog - happy to 'meet' you ... I'll definitely be coming back.
Sherri

ana said...

i already know to expect to be hungry when opening your blog :D how great this all looks!!

Marisa Hopkins said...

Okay, I feel like I have already ooooohed and ahhhhhhed over the super rad blog makeover of yours... but also, I feel like I might have been thinking that but didn't post it??? So. Just know - your new blog design is awesome!

Also - yeah, that's pretty much the most delicious looking meal EVER.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Jamie Oliver is the cutest thing I want to curl him up and stuff him in my pocket - that lamb look fantastic!!! ( I love your new header too)

T and Tea Cake said...

Argh. To die for. I'm a fan of Jamie myself and find it so admirable what here tries to do in British and then American schools!

This really looks lovely and there is nothing wrong with a little cheating here and there ;)

Cheers,
Tobias

Holly said...

Add me to the Jamie Oliver fan club too! And why not, when the meal you made looks *fabulous*! There's nothing like a birthday meal "in",if you ask me :)

Magic of Spice said...

Wow, that's some birthday meal! Looks wonderful and looks like your husband really enjoyed :)

Happy Frog and I said...

I've eaten in Jamie's restaurant in my hometown and enjoyed the food and atmosphere there very much. All vege for me though! :-)

thestoryofkat said...

Gorgeous! You are so talented!

Elisabeth said...

That is one gorgeous and elegant stuffed lamb you made for your hubby!
Wow! I'm totally impressed, even with the "cheating" little cheesecake that you decorated so pretty! Love the raspberry sauce, and the berries on the top, but the stuffed leg of lamb?...I'm blown away...superb!!!

Cyndi L said...

Ohmygoodness...I want to come to YOUR house!

rebecca said...

Yum! Lamb is one of my absolute favorites and your dinner looked fabulous!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Happy Belated B.Day to your hubby :)

That meal looks awesome, we eat a lot of lamb but I would NEVER be allowed to stuff it, gosh me that is just not British(He! He!) :)

I LOVE Jamie Oliver too!

Loving your new blog format :)T.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...