Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Coffee Table


I remember my Grandma's coffee table well.
It was a beautiful mid century teak table...rectangle, 
with a woven shelf underneath.
When I was little I didn't know anything of it's design or how stylish it was.
What I knew, was what the tin that sat on the top held.

It would be one of two things.
Dutch licorice.
 An acquired taste for sure, 
of salty black drops that are nothing like what we know of licorice here.
Or sometimes it held powdery Wilhelmina peppermints, my Grandpa's favorite.
I was happy with whatever was hiding under that lid.

And on that shelf underneath,
Better Homes and Gardens Magazine...always!

It's funny the things you remember...the tidbits you pull from memory.
And funnier still, is that I now get 
Better Homes & Gardens magazine, some 30 years later! 
Reading it always makes me think of my Grandma.

Did you know their first published issue was back in the 1920's?
That's pretty impressive!

It's a light read, gardening tips, some home decorating and a few recipes.
It used to be the recipes were simple weeknight fare,
 maybe a casserole, nothing too out of the ordinary.
To be honest, I don't often make or even read the recipes.
But lately I've noticed a more modern look and feel to the magazine, including the recipes.
In the last issue, this instantly caught my eye.





Let me tell you...it was fantastic!
The mahi mahi was so moist from poaching.
There was a delicate sweetness from the coconut milk, 
and a spirited kick from the chiles.
I chopped up crystallized ginger and ladled the hot coconut broth over top,
which released the sugars and the beautiful ginger taste.
The bok choy added both needed color and texture,
 with the lime zest balancing out the dish with a burst of fresh citrus.

My husband declared it a restaurant quality dish.
When he says that, it means he really likes it!
A definite make again in our kitchen.

So from now on, I won't be so quick to skim over the recipes.
They've obviously been in print a long time for a reason.
You never know where your next gem of a dish might come from!



ps...don't forget to enter the pet giveaway here

Photobucket

14 comments:

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Yum! Do you happen to know if Coconut Milk has a lot of carbs?

Marisa Hopkins said...

Mmmm, I love buying fancy foreign candy - my mom has a thing for every kind of black licorice.

I have got to try that for my hubs!! He'd LOVE it! (

Meeling said...

Maureen...good question, I'm not really sure, tho I think it's pretty low. I know it's gluten and dairy free and I think vegan too. I always use Thai Kitchen Lite Coconut Milk...it's what's readily available around here.

Marisa...www.dutchsweets.com has an amazing selection of black licorice. I grew up eating the double salt...very salty and not for the faint of heart, but there are lots of varieties. You'll have to let me know if she tries it what she thinks...I've yet to meet anyone who likes it that didn't grow up eating it! ;-)

simpledaisy said...

That sounds delicious!!! I love coconut anything:):)

Additionsstyle said...

The Mahi Mahi looks tasty. I love Better Homes & Gardens, they have the best recipes.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

My Life Under the Bus said...

I used the same coconut milk - love it one of my favorite things to cook with I also put it in butternut squash soup and chicken coconut curry mmmmmmm. I have to try this one too!!! Love Better Homes and Gardens! XOXO

Handmade in Israel said...

Wow! That Coconut Poached Mahi Mahi
looks amazing!!! What beautiful photos too.
Love your little Yorkie - what a cutie!

Kelly said...

wow, that looks really good, and it's nothing that I've ever tried before! too bad mahi mahi is a no no during pregnancy!

lisaroyhandbags said...

My grandma always had Wilhelmina mints in her candy dish on the coffee table too! Thanks for bringing back that happy memory!
The recipe looks delicious - I love BHG - there's always such great ideas for organizing, decor and of course, food! :)

OnePerfectDay said...

It sounds great and it looks great too!

Tara said...

It is just such a pretty dish, Meeling. Love the white and green.

ana said...

what great colors. & it sounds lovely.

i remember my grandmother's chest of drawers in a dark cherry wood with all her jewelry on top. oh i just love all her jewelry.

Michelle (aka Cinna B.) said...

Hahaha the only time I've heard of poaching is with eggs... But it sounds sensible, a common technique. I'll have to try this next time I cook fish :)

rebecca said...

I still, quite often, refer back to my 1962s Better Homes and Garden cookbook - with the red plaid cover. I've always liked the magazine too and that recipe sounds fantastic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...