Friday, August 26, 2011

Photoswap 2011





This was my first year participating in Photoswap.  I saw a link on someones blog and thought what fun!  I rarely shoot film anymore, everythings gone digital, so it was a good excuse to dust off my old Minolta Maxxum 300si...which by the way...I forgot how much I totally love that camera!!

The swap was organized by Rhianne of For The Easily Distracted .  You get assigned a swap partner anywhere in the world, and you swap rolls of film.  You then develop each others rolls and see what you got!  It's kind of like getting a little surprise gift in the mail because you have no idea what your are going to see once you develop them.

My partner for the swap was Nova of Novarella blog.  She is from west coast Canada...near and dear to my heart since that's where I was born.  I was excited to get my film package in the mail, complete with a little vintage notebook from the 70's...groovy!  Now to see what that mystery roll of film held. 

Here is just a sampling of what was on the roll I received.  I love her washed out color tones, there is a certain "tinted" quality to them, almost like a hand painted black and white photo.  You can see her full set here on Flickr along with the rest of the photoswap participants...there are some really awesome shots!



And now for mine.
So there I was camera in hand...hmmm, what to shoot?  It was actually quite a dilemma.  There was no assigned theme, no guidelines...kind of like a teacher saying go write a paper and that's it, no more information given.  A good majority of what I shoot usually is food related, so for a change of scenery I stepped outside, and into the black and white world.
I hopped in the car and started driving, pulling over when I saw something that caught my eye.
So here is a sample of what I shot over the course of 2 mornings.
You can find my full set here.


It was a lot fun!
We are so used to instant gratification with our digital cameras, it was nice to actually have to wait and see how the pictures turned out.  No instantly seeing if things were in focus, or did someone blink.
I enjoyed stepping out of the technology for a moment.
And my Minolta?
I kept it out.
I had forgotten what a good friend it is.

12 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

HOW FUN!! and what gorgeous photos!!!

ana said...

oh wow. i love your results & hers. awesome :D i am so looking forward for my film to get here. :)

Jacaranda Designs Jewelry said...

what an amazing idea...I'd would love to participate in something like that. I thought you both took very unique photos and yes, the suspense of getting a roll of film back from the developer is really fun. I think I'll have to brush the dust off my Nikon and get clicking with gold old film again!

rebecca said...

Wow - what a fabulous post and what a cool idea! I just love your b/w photos, especially the one with the side mirror reflection.

Sarah B. said...

What a fantastic idea!!! I love both sets of pictures :)

Happy Frog and I said...

I like the idea of photo swaps, I've only done blog swaps before. I also think it is good to step out of technology every now and again, glad the experiment went well for you.

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

Great photos, both hers and yours. I didn't know you were born in Canada! I'm loving your new blog look. Awesome!
Denise

Laura said...

That's such an amazing idea!

Additionsstyle said...

That sounds like so much fun, and how cool to get photos from someone you don't know. Looks like you both have an amazing collection of photos.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Almost Precious said...

It's good to push ourselves into new directions, we often do the same things over and over again so it's a challenge to step outside our comfort zone and tackle something different. Love the soft faded colors of Nova's photos, gives them a retro feel just as you said. Also enjoyed that you chose to go black and white, very classic and gives a sense of history.

BTW - Is it my imagination or have you done a blog make-over ? Either way I love it. :)

Victoria said...

These photos are all gorgeous! :D

Tara said...

What a great idea -- the 35 mm film, the swap, the surprise, the whole thing. I also love the new look, Meeling. I think it perfectly fits with you and your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...