Friday, July 22, 2011

Italian Dreaming


It was apparently fashionable, 
because everywhere I looked, everyone had one.
In the piazzas.
 At street and canal side cafes...in restaurants.
These beautiful orange hued drinks.
In unassuming tumblers, in fancy goblets...
with ice and a slice of orange, the slightest effervescence barely visible.

I had to try one...


So sitting outside a tiny corner cafe in Venice,
down a narrow alley, over a canal and next to an imposing church...
I had my first taste of aperol.
Bliss!

It's not an easy taste to describe.
You get sweet orange with a hint of a familiar bitter citrus.
There are interesting herbal notes.
It's sweet but at the same time it's not.
And what the Italians do with it, is pure magic...


This is one of the most refreshing drinks I've ever had.
It's light, airy almost...truly a perfect aperitif!

So this week I made us one...
We sat in the backyard as the evening cooled,
and if but for a moment, when I closed my eyes...
I was back at that cozy Venice cafe. 
Listening to the rapid fire conversations float outside 
to our table through the open doors.
The sun peeking through the alley, warming my face.
Warm mozzarella melting in my panini.
Our contented conversation as we enjoyed a perfect day.

Italian dreaming...


12 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've often wondered what this stuff tastes like - it sounds delicious! I'm right with you with the Italian dreaming - I feel like I was sitting right there with you :)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

YUM! Can I come too!?

Kathy said...

it looks divine...

Kelly said...

mmm...sounds good! nice and light.

Sarah B. said...

That sounds soooo yummy and refreshing :)

rebecca said...

Your description made me feel like I was right there!
Would love to try it!

Annette said...

That sounds so good right now! So does sitting in Venice!

Almost Precious said...

Oh what a lovely memory to bring back with you. The drink does look delicious.

Tara said...

As if I needed another reason to want to visit Venice, you just gave me one, Meeling.

Handmade in Israel said...

It sounds wonderful! You gave it such a beautiful description.
Happy you like the 'gingie' card

My Life Under the Bus said...

...and then I woke up! Oh it sounds like a dream - I love prosecco and am not into sweet sweet drinks this sounds right up my alley!!!

Additionsstyle said...

Sounds amazing! The drink and the dream.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...