Friday, June 3, 2011

Poor Mans Pasta

I love Italy.
I love Italian food....a whole lot.
It's simple, straightforward and uncomplicated.
This leads to outstanding dishes. 
Flavors shine unmasked by unnecessary ingredients.

I love cookbooks and when I was given 
Jamie Oliver's Italy for my birthday this year I was so excited.


This book is superb.
The photos are drool worthy and the recipes are from Italian home cooks,
authentic, yet easy to execute.

I've made a few things from it already, but by far my favorite is
Pasta Con Acciughe e Pomodoro
(anchovies in tomato sauce with pasta)


I love the measurements given in this recipe,
a handful of this, a big handful of that, a large glass of wine.
It made me smile as I was reading it, because to me those measurements 
give the the best homemade tasting results.  
You add a little of this, a touch of that and voila...a perfect dish!




The sauce is rich and earthy with a wonderful chestnut hue 
from the wine, tomatoes and anchovies.  
Did you know that anchovies completely melt away?
They dissolved magically into the sauce to give it a deep briny flavor,
without being fishy tasting in any way.
Crunchy toasted breadcrumbs balance out the dish. 


This dish is unsophisticated...and I mean that as a high compliment.
It is natural and easygoing.
It tastes like Italy.
Fresh.
Full of life.
Distinguished, yet down to earth.

Worth a visit?
Most definitely.

Recipe follows:

Ingredients

olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2 big handfuls of pinenuts
a big handful of raisins
12 salted anchovy fillets
3 heaping tablespoons tomato puree
a large wineglass of red wine
1-3/4 cups stale breadcrumbs
1 lb dried margherita pasta
(I couldn't find margherita so I used perciatelli)

Heat a pan, add 6 tablespoons of olive oil, add garlic and fry slowly.
When garlic starts to color add pinenuts, raisins and anchovies, 
frying until anchovies have melted.
Add the tomato puree and wine and stir well.
Leave to simmer over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
In a separate pan heat a little olive oil and fry breadcrumbs until toasted and golden.
Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions.
Drain pasta and mix with the sauce.
Twirl pasta with tongs onto 4 plates and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Rachel J said...

Id be scared because of the anchovies, but because it's Jamie Oliver it must be good. Every recipe of his I've tried was weird--but marvelous.

rebecca said...

Pine-nuts, raisins and anchovies...three things I never would have thought about combining, yet it looked oh so delicious. That's what I love about your blog Meeling - you are always surprising me in a good way! :)

Have a great weekend!

Crunchy Diva said...

i'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan. i love his style of cooking & that he promotes home cooked meals, & few, but good quality ingredients. what a great gift you got enjoy your wonderful cookbook.

Cat said...

Looks divine! I am obsessed with cookbooks too! So many recipes to try, so little time :)

xx Cat brideblu

My Life Under the Bus said...

Ah ha he is a big chunk of awesome that's what he is. I think I'd pinch him if I ever saw him in person! I am also afraid of anchovies but I should try this - love Italian. Have a great weekend Meeling : )

Tara said...

That looks so good, Meeling. Thanks for the recipe.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Meeling, What a wonderful gift to get :)

I am a BIG Jamie Oliver fan and am watching his latest series with the LA schools, I bet you are a little familiar with them, maybe????

I watched the series that goes with your book, truly amazing. He really is so passionate about what he does and truly cares, wants to share and to everyone to enjoy amazing food :)

Have a lovely Monday, it is so wonderful to be back and being able to comment on all my favs, via Blogger, (worked thru the bugs, hopefully!) Cheers, T. :)

Sarah B. said...

Looks so yummy!!! I love Jamie Oliver :)

Kelly said...

mmm...sounds good! different, but good!

OnePerfectDay said...

Another huge Jamie fan here!
Yoy just can't go wrong with Jamie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...