Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Raining Apricots

Help!
I mean really...help!
We have an apricot tree in our yard that must have secretly taken growth hormones
or something, because it is literally raining apricots!

I mean...I'm feeding the neighbors, the passersby, 
even the local crows & squirrels have gotten smart, 
and don't venture more than the distance
an apricot will fall off the tree!

They are wonderful whole and eaten fresh.
Sliced up they are great with yogurt or ice cream.
Cut in half, wrapped in a slice of prosciutto and drizzled with balsamic vinegar,
they are a perfect pairing with a glass of wine.
I've even grilled them...they are so delicious that way, 
slightly warm over vanilla ice cream, 
the flavors burst, the warm sugars release...fantastic!

Last night...with yet another bucket full, I found an old
Martha Stewart recipe in a magazine for 
Peach Clafouti.
I didn't have peaches...but I had plenty of apricots!
We were having company for dinner so I figured...perfect dessert.


This was one of the easiest desserts that I've whipped up in a long time, and so good.
It was creamy and rich, slightly sweet, 
but balanced with the tart qualities of the apricots.
There was a custard yet almost cheesecake essence to it.

It bubbles up high and fluffy and smells divine,
and upon resting will fall slightly.
Serve slightly warm or at room temperature, dusted lightly with powdered sugar.
(and yes I know the photo below looks a little like scrambled eggs with fruit in it...eeeew,
but I can assure you it doesn't taste like that at all)


And the leftovers...
delicious for breakfast with a cup of coffee this morning!!

Recipe follows...

Ingredients

5 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
(I used slightly less & it was just right)
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/4 pounds apricots, halved, pitted and cut into slices
confectioners sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
In a medium bowl whisk eggs and flour until combined.
Add sour cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk together.
Pour mixture into a 3 quart baking dish.
Scatter apricots over top of batter.
(some will sink...just add more till you can see some on the top)
Bake until browned at edges and center is set...about 30-40 mins.
Let cool slightly.
Serve warm dusted with confectioners sugar.

Enjoy!

17 comments:

Happy Frog and I said...

I love apricots so would happily take some of your surplus off your hands! When I used to grow courgettes I used to have far to many. It's amazing how many different food combos you can make from them though if you put your mind to it!

ana said...

oh! i am going through the same thing, but with mangoes. so weird! :) that looks so seriously yummy.

Kelly said...

yum! that looks really good - thanks for sharing!

Handmade in Israel said...

Oh yum! This looks wonderful. Maybe I'll give it a go. My kids love apricots!
Thansk for stopping by my blog.

My Life Under the Bus said...

OMG!!! Wrap them up and send them to me! Hahahaha looks fantastic!!!

Sandra Monat said...

Meeling, we could swap. We are getting clobberd over the head with appels each year :) I could kill for your dessert right now

Almost Precious said...

Arrrg, I typed this once and hit the wrong key and deleted it all - hate when I do that.

I love apricots but the ones in the grocery stores all seem to be hard and tasteless as they are picked when they are far too green. I’d like to plant an apricot tree but am not sure how it would do so far south in the State of Florida and in our very sandy soil. My mom had an apricot tree many years ago and it's amazing how much fruit one small tree will produce ! However the flavor of a fully tree ripen apricot is the best there is and I can only imagine how delicious your Apricot peach calfouti was, bet apricot upside down cake would also be yummy to the extreme.

Tara said...

Oh, I would love a piece of that with a big mug of coffee right about now. Thanks for the recipe, Meeling!

Sher said...

Looks like an awesome recipe! I always wanted a lemon tree in my yard. I suppose that would be difficult in Northwest Indiana.

Enjoy your fruits!

OnePerfectDay said...

The recipe sounds great!
I'll have to try it!

Frannie said...

I'm so jealous. I love apricots.
Your apricot dessert looks delicious.

Annette said...

I love apricots and this looks and sounds heavenly! I think it's definitely worth trying!

Sarah B. said...

Those look delicious! Feel free to send some my way :)

rebecca said...

Sounds heavenly!!!

Emily@VitaNostra said...

okay, this is too weird. I just posted my blueberry clafoutis recipe. (And I swear I hadn't seen yours first!) Your version looks amazing! Agree totally with your comments about it being light and easy... such a quick dessert to prepare with great results.

I have to say... you might just be my culinary soulmate :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

this looks delicious! I just read Emily's post about her blueberry clafoutis today too! I've made cherry but no other kind but it seems I've now got clafoutis on the brain now! :)

Melissa {TheScarletCardinal} said...

YUM! If I lived closer I would definitely take some of those off your hands!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...