Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pretty Soup

There is something comforting about soup.
Memories of childhood maybe, or just the
warming feeling you get when you eat it.

Thanks to an unusually chilly spell here in Southern California,
I decided to tackle a recipe that I've been wanting to make
for quite some time.  It's a very simple recipe, just a little time consuming.

Southwest Sedona Spicy Avocado Soup
with
Roasted Corn Salsa
atop
Oven Dried Tomatoes
drizzled with
Lime Sour Cream
(that's quite a mouthful for just the title)

You will need:
3 Roma Tomatoes
olive oil
salt/pepper

(this is the part that takes a while and you have to allow time for)

slice tomatoes into 1/4" slices, place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan
drizzle lightly with olive oil
season with salt & pepper
place in a 200 degree oven for about 2 hours
(the tomatoes will dry out and have the appearance of fruit leather)


Now for the soup part...

You will need:
2 large avocados
4 cups chicken stock
2 limes-juiced
1Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 Tbsps Sherry
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper


peel and mash the avocados
place avocado, chicken stock, lime juice, cilantro & sherry 
in a food processor and puree
(I did mine directly in the pot with an immersion blender-one less pot to clean)
season with salt, pepper and the Sedona spice
(the Sedona spice is available here or you 
could sub it out with some chili powder, paprika and lime zest)
place in stock pot and heat at time of service

Now for the corn salsa:
1/2 cup roasted corn kernels
1 Tbsp minced red bell pepper
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced cilantro
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
dash of white pepper

combine all ingredients and hold to serve atop the soup

I promise you are almost there...
just one more thing to make.

Lime Sour Cream

1 cup sour cream
1 lime zested and juiced
combine and place in a squeeze bottle

Now that you've made all the pieces to this delicious puzzle,
it's time to start assembling...

place heated soup in bowls
top with 2-3 slices of oven dried tomatoes
top with a spoonful of the corn salsa
drizzle with lime sour cream
and
Ta Da!


This is one of the prettiest recipes I've made in a long while.
The colors play off each other so well.
The vivid red tomatoes "pop" against the avocado green,
which is flecked with the deep cilantro green.
There is a little burst of yellow from the corn,
and then it's finished with white swirls of sour cream.


While looks are a huge part of food, 
obviously taste ranks up there just a bit higher.
So how was the taste result?
Divine!
The soup has a velvety texture thanks to the avocado.
The oven dried tomatoes are so sweet, which balances the spiciness
of the soup perfectly.
It's fresh and bright from the lime juice and cilantro.
A make again?
Most definitely!!

So pretty soup...
that's also pretty delicious!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

yum! this sounds and looks wonderful!

Crunchy Diva said...

that soup looks amazing. i love soup & could eat it every day..ummm wait i have been known to eat soup days on end..lol. i even bet my son would like this as he adores avocados.

cabin + cub said...

Oh that looks so yummy! Soup is one of my fave comfort foods!

Tara said...

Looks delicious, Meeling. And the tomatoes are so pretty.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Meeling, your food always looks so amazing. :)

Now, if we only had virtual capabilities I could get a spoon and help myself to some of your scrumptious soup thru my comp. screen. YUM!! :)

Hopefully you are enjoying your usual sunshine again. :)

Have a lovely afternoon, T. :)

My Life Under the Bus said...

That looks fantastic! I have never had avocado in soup but I eat them like there is no tomorrow I have to svae this to my favorites!

rebecca said...

Sounds super good to me! I love avocados but never thought of trying them in soup.

Almost Precious said...

This recipe sounds sooo good and your photos are wonderful.
I'd love to give this one a try but, once upon a time, we lived in a house with 4 huge avocado trees in the yard. I loved it, ate avos everyday while they were in season ... and then ...dum-ta-dum-dum ! ... I found myself allergic to them. Bummer ! Now if I have just one bite of avo I break out in welts. Phooey ! I'd love to have a big bowl of guacamole and Tostitos !!! :(

Sarah B. said...

It's 8:19 and I'm drooling in front of the computer screen (you had me at avocado!). YUM!!!

Sandra Monat said...

yum yum, looks really delicious. I never had avocado as part of a soup, but I can imagine it very well

Amanda said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I have yet to try an avocado soup, but I am sure it is amazing. I love soup on a chilly day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...