Friday, March 18, 2011

Plan B

St. Patricks Day.
I'm all prepared to make corned beef and cabbage.
I do every year.
Well for some reason, this time,
I guess everyone in the area decided
to do the same thing.
No more corned beef at the local market!
Did I miss the corned beef stampede memo?
Hmmm....Well,
Plan B it is.

I happened to be flipping through the local paper
the day before and the food section
had a great page filled with Irish dishes.


All featuring Kerrygold butter and cheese.
If you've never had Dubliner, it's delicious! 
Kind of sweet and nutty, a bit of an aged bite,
truly rich and wonderful.


So I decided on the
complete with cheesy mashed potatoes.
I mean how could you go wrong!



The sauce had Guinness and Kerrygold butter,
onions, carrots and thyme.
Kerrygold butter has the most beautiful golden hue.
It is rich and flavorful and well worth 
the little extra splurge.


Bubbling goodness, fresh from the oven!


It tasted heavenly...
You could taste the richness of the butter and cheese.
For a moment I felt like I was wandering the green pastures of Ireland...
Ok, well maybe that's a wee bit of a stretch but you get the idea.
It didn't set up quite as thick as I would have liked,
but it didn't affect the taste any, and
the boys went back for thirds!!
I know it's a hit and a definite "make again"
when that happens.

A handful of simple, honest ingredients.
Plan B turned out to be an A+!

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!

10 comments:

thestoryofkat said...

"simple, honest ingredients" ..you are so right and that looks and sounds delicious! a friend of mine also made shepherd's pie so now i've got it on the brain..will have to try it with the dublin cheese and guinness...mmm.

ana said...

sorry about the corned beef! but this really looks super yummy :)

rebecca said...

Shepherds Pie is one of my all-time favorites! And this one sounds yummy! Adding Guinness is genius! I am going to try that next time I make it. Kerrygold butter is so so good - expensive - but worth it!
Have a great weekend Meeling :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

anything with Guinness in the recipe can't be bad! sounds delicious! :)

Almost Precious said...

Sounds delicious and one of those down home recipes that end up becoming a family tradition. Meat and potatoes are an all time favorite with my man, he prefers stick to your ribs goodness, so I'm sure he would enjoy this version of Shepherds Pie. The Guinness in it and the Dubliner cheese have me curious to give it a try.

Too bad that your local supermarket was out of corned beef, it must be in a predominately Irish neighborhood. I always thought the best thing about corned beef and cabbage was the scrumptious sandwiches afterwards. :D

Happy Frog and I said...

I love it when a plan comes together. Glad it all worked out in the end. :-)

Tara said...

Oh, Sheperd's Pie, how I love thee. I've never had Dubliner but I have this overwhelming desire to find some. Have a great weekend, Meeling.

Sarah B. said...

That looks soooo delicious! Glad your dinner plans weren't ruined after all! :)

Handmade in Israel said...

I get so hungry reading your blog!!! I love Shepherds Pie and often make it. I do miss good old British cheese though. I found some imported Chedder recently. It was v. expensicve but delicious!
Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

T @ Poppy Place said...

Meeling, how did I miss this :)

It looks so yummy. My Hubby is the Shepherds Pie maker in our house. I will have to mention the adding of the Guinness to it, I'm sure he would love it.

I can taste the Kerrygold butter, growing up on that with fresh bread, sooo yum! T. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...