Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Creative Space

Lately a bunch of blogs that I follow
 have been showing off their creative spaces.
I've been enjoying taking a peek into everyone's
spaces...getting ideas, seeing how people organize things.
So, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and join in!

Here is my basic "working" station with
both my sewing machine and serger having a spot.
The desk setup is from ikea and I love it!

(photo taken pre photos on the wall)
Vinyl-Peel & Stick flower decals also from ikea.
The curtains were a $4 find
 in the "as-is" section of ikea as well.
I couldn't have bought the fabric for that amount
of money to make them from scratch!


Butterfly prints, the wire birdcage
and the 3 tiered "fruit" basket on my desk,
all from Homegoods.
I love that store!



The orange chair was a flea market find. 
I seem to recall squealing like a 
little school girl when I saw it.
Mid Century styling that I like and it's orange!!
The # 2 pillow was a clearance bin find at
my local
Pottery Barn store.


The other side has my cork board...
(tidied up for the photo...usually there's not much cork showing)
Another ikea shelf,
this one found in the "as-is" section for $5
 and already assembled!


My wire dress form,
found at Homegoods in a weird putty kind of color,
so I spray painted it black.
I dressed her up with a $3 garland of
silk flowers from the craft store.


The closet is filled with plastic storage drawers
for all my fabric and supplies.
(not photo worthy as it's not very exciting)

It's a bright and sunny space, and has really good light.
It's simple in style but it suits me well. 
The open floor space allows for the ironing board,
and laying out large projects.
The orange "pops"
of color give it a little pizazz!

I have one blank wall left and it's just crying out for this...


It's truly perfect for the spot in every way,
except the price tag!!
It's almost $300...
Hmmmm.....not happening...like ever!
I saw a tutorial here of someone who made
 a replica for next to nothing,
think I might give it a go.

Have you ever done a project like this?
Any suggestions?
I'd love to hear your ideas!

So that's my creative space or sometimes
just my mommy "time-out" room
when I need a breather.

I'd love to hear your input on my space and on the project.

Hope you're all having a great day!!

19 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

Oh my goodness, your creative space is my creative space DREAM!!

And also, OH!!! I have a 3-tiered fruit basket that looks very much like the basket on your desk... and mine has been unused for years, because it doesn't fit in my kitchen... it is TOTALLY going on my desk! Perfect!

Angela said...

So pretty!! (& neat!) I love every little detail - great bargain shopping too! You can totally make that dress collage!

Tara said...

I love your space, Meeling. It is very organized but has these pretty details all over the place. My space is in need of a serious overhaul. I've never tried a project like the paper dress but you should definitely give it a try. It would fit into your space perfectly. Regarding my soaps, I'm doing a craft fair in April so I'm trying to stock up for that at the moment. Shortly after that, I'll be listing my soaps in my shop. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Happy Frog and I said...

Wow, what a fantastic place to be creative. Jealous? Me? Of course! Thanks so much for posting this, wonderful!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

I love that tiered basket!! what a great organizer!!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

ana said...

this is so wonderful! what a great space to work in :D

rebecca said...

Wow what a charming and organized space! Your dress form is adorable and I just love your style! I am sure that you can make your own newspaper dress picture. Especially when you have such a fun and relaxing place to create.

You are inspiring me to finish getting my studio space organized - I say this as I sit amidst utter chaos.

Thanks for sharing your room with us and have a great weekend!

T @ Poppy Place said...

Oh Meeling, your space is adorable :)

I love the light and your corner desk.

How do you keep it looking so tidy, my areas are a shameful mess right now :(

I Love the idea of recreating the paper dress. Clever tutorial, I have to admit I LOVE Ballard and back in the day, I actually did buy from them, oh how times change when the money is going to colleges :)

I love your Birdcage and your Dress form, does she have a name?????

You would LOVE my Son's room it is completely orange and his bed covers, maybe overkill but we let him choose everything himself when he was 11.

Have a lovely day, good luck with the project. Tres Chic. :) T.

My Life Under the Bus said...

SO bright and cheerful it looks like you!!! Homegoods is my FAVORITE place too. I saw that flat birdcage and didn't have the money that week and it was gone . I am soooo jealous of yours! Love your space!!!

I say go for the art work you can totally do it!

Denise from Beaded Embellishments said...

What a beautiful space for a beautiful woman. I sure wish my creative space was as tidy as yours ;)
Have a lovely day Meeling.
(P.S. My sister interviewed me on her blog if you want to have a peek: http://bit.ly/g7itY6 )

Denise
from
BeadedEmbellishments

http://beadedembellishments.etsy.com
http://beadedembellishments.blogspot.com

Almost Precious said...

Your work space really looks like a page out of a magazine. Your decorating skills are superb and how do you craft without making a mess? My work space looks like my stuff threw up all over my room !

I get Ballard's catalog too and though their things are gorgeous they are incredibly overpriced...at least for my checkbook ! I think you could probably make a pretty good replica of Ballard's newspaper dress giclee and for a lot less than $300.

Deborah said...

Im now following you Meeling (purehunnybee)..Im Denises sister :)
I love your working craft space..so cute!
Nice blog!!

Deborah :)

It's a Crafty Life said...

Your craft room is so clean and organized, I'm jealous, ha! Love that wire bird cage, I'm definitely going to stop by Home Goods this week and see if there are any left! :-)

Sarah B. said...

I love your space!! It's gorgeous!! I especially love that orange chair ;)

lisaroyhandbags said...

What a great space! I love the desk wrapping the corner like that with all the light from the window. Your chair is awesome and I love your pillow- a fun and inspiring space! :)

My Life Under the Bus said...

came back to look at that birdie bulletin board...*soooo jealous*

JooJoo said...

What a lovely cozy space! Full of light and pretty furniture! Love the decals too, they give soul to your room :)

The tutorial is interesting but she's copying the original artist's work, I guess it's against copyright. It's nice to make some changes in the dress ;)

maureencracknell said...

I love that tiered stand and the bird case wire thingy!!! My dress form is from Homegoods too! Your space is wonderful!

X Maureen

Urbanstems said...

I love love love your space. Talented lady that you are. It is all fantastic and I want your tailor dummy!!!..Sinead x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...