Friday, February 18, 2011

The Noisy Valentine


Whirrrrrrr........
The blender was running,
whipping up a delicious marinade for dinner.
I guess so much for listening to the old
records I had put on.

Then...
Spluuuunk......
That's the sound of a 5 pound bag of jasmine rice
hitting the wood floor...
followed by the sound of tiny, tiny,
rice rain drops,
scattering wildly all over the pantry and the floor.
Hmmmm....
apparently the bag wasn't as closed as we thought.

Now add to this orchestra of sounds,
the coughing vacuum cleaner
trying to swallow large quantities of rice rain.
It seems the vacuum cleaner had a rather full tummy
and wasn't overly hungry.

Are you feeling the romantic Valentines Day vibe yet?


In all honesty by this point it was all rather funny,
we had a good laugh and then got on with the business
of cooking dinner!

On the menu


The marinade was for the asparagus and to drizzle over the fish.
Delicious and simple!
The soy and lemon juice played so nicely together,
with a little heat from the ginger.
It was very fresh tasting.


Fresh orange zest for the rice...
a nice bright contrast to the rich creamy texture 
of the Coconut Pilaf.


The halibut and the asparagus were both grilled,
which added just a hint of smokiness to the taste.
The flavors were all well balanced and 
played off of each other really well.
A little sweet, a hint of heat and some smokiness.
I was very pleased with the results.


Then onto dessert!


This recipe comes courtesy of 
We belong to their spice of the month club
and I knew when I saw
"Hawaiian Sea Salt Chocolate Molten Cakes"
I was making them for Valentines Day!

These are seriously chocolatey...
I'm talking rich gooey brownie flavor on steroids!!
They are not too sweet,
they have a luscious chocolate flavor,
a hint of sea salt, and then the outsides
are dusted with sugar.
So each bite is a wonderful combination
of flavors to savor.
I think I'm in love!


Well, I thought I was in love until it was paired
with the Mango Coulis...
Oh my goodness!
Sweet, citrusy, spicy...


Pair that with the chocolatey goodness of the Molten Cakes,
A match made in heaven!!
Marry me?

So while it might not have been the quietest evening
we've ever had...
it was one of the more delectable ones!


Recipes for Molten Cakes and Mango Coulis follow:

Ingredients

9 oz semi-sweet chocolate
12 Tbsp softened butter - half for greasing muffin tins
1 C sugar - half for dusting muffin tins
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp Kahlua
1/8 tsp Two Snooty Chefs Alea Hawaiian Sea Salt
(plus additional for dusting tops of cakes)
3 large eggs
1/2 C flour

Directions

Preheat over 400 degrees
Butter a 12 count muffin tin (6 if using a jumbo muffin pan)
Dust the individual tins with half the sugar
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler till smooth - set aside
In a separate bowl cream together 6 Tbsp butter,
1/2 C sugar, vanilla, Kahlua & sea salt
Add eggs one at a time until well blended
Beat in melted chocolate and add flour
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full
Lightly sprinkle more sea salt over the batter in the tins
Bake 9-10 mins - let cool
Turn out onto a plate and serve with mango coulis

Mango Coulis

2 ripe mangos
1/2 C fresh squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp honey
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions

Remove all flesh of mango from skin and the pit and place in blender
Add remaining ingredients and blend well 
Serve with Chocolate Molten Cakes

9 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

OH MY WORD. Will you be my Valentine? :D Seriously, those look SO amazingly good!!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

this looks so yummy!!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

rebecca said...

THUD!

That was the sound of me hitting the floor after reading your post.

Seriously, I was faint from hunger!! You have a way of describing your food that makes me think I am in your kitchen. Love it!!

And now I am starving...Have a great weekend!

Almost Precious said...

Talk about gourmet fare! This is definitely in a league with Bobby Flay, Jacques Pepin and Julia Child. The chocolate molten cake looks "to die for" delicious !

Tara said...

Now that is a meal! Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

My Life Under the Bus said...

We have coconut ginger rice with everything I just love it!!! Looks freaking awesome! I had a half open bag of pretzels fall on my head today! Damn bags.

Laura said...

It all looks delicious. As for the rice, that's not kind of funny, its Hilarious!!!

Sarah B. said...

That looks to die for! I'm a big fan of asparagus - you should come cook for our Valentine's Day :)

T @ Poppy Place said...

Your food looks delicious :)

It is good you guys have a sense of humour. Rice can get everywhere :(

Of course I know from experience and on the floor it always seems way more than was in the bag, like it multiplied as it fell :)

Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's :) T.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...