Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Old Time Kitchen Magic

Who doesn't like a little magic now and then?

And if that magic happens in the kitchen...
even better if you ask me!

Meet the magic makers themselves;
Heather and Rachel from


These ladies stir up some fantastic "potions"...
that are truly out of this world!


Both ladies learned "old time" things from their Mom's; 
like making jams, jellies, chutneys and syrups all from scratch.

They are both passionate about keeping the "home arts" alive...
a sentiment that I believe strongly in myself.
When I asked them about their work they told me, 
"teach your kids to cook, sew, make jam, whatever you can.  
It's part of what connects us to the world we live in...
and gives us appreciation for what we use everyday".
What a fabulous attitude!!

Heather and Rachel were generous enough to send me
 a sampler of their jams and jellies to savor.
What a delightful treat!


The first one I tried was their Sweet Red Pepper Jelly
It was scrumptious!  
Wonderful bell pepper flavor,
 just a touch of heat from the jalapenos, and a lovely smokiness.
Chad loved this one...it was his favorite.
We served it over a little goat cheese on crackers.
A great party appetizer!


Next up was the Spiced Plum Jam
This was a pure delight for my taste buds.
Sweet & spicy, just a hint of citrus,
a wonderful "Holiday-ish" taste.
(I'm hiding this one from everyone else)


I also got to sample their Cranberry Rosemary Thyme Jelly
This beautiful red jelly has lovely herbal hints of rosemary and thyme...
all from the ladies Kitchen Voodoo garden!
Step aside regular old cranberry sauce,
this is the perfect Holiday poultry companion...
think leftover turkey sandwiches.
Yum!


The next jelly I got to delight in was
This pale yellow jelly has the subtlest floral aroma,
is lightly sweet and refreshing.
A wonderfully delicate snack with some cream cheese,
 crackers and a glass of wine.

A jar of their Citrus Jelly tied up with a box of crackers
 and a bottle of wine would make a lovely hostess gift this season.


They have many more wonderful flavors in their etsy shop like,
and this one that I can't wait to try...
It looks delectable!


When I asked them what the best part of creating was,
they said "besides all the yummy goodness we come up with...
it's two friends cooking and chatting and laughing, 
while we chop, peel and simmer and in the end...
the result is delicious jam and jelly".

Sounds like magic to me!


Heather and Rachel have graciously extended to my blog readers,
10% off any purchases in the month of December.
Just use code: 
XMASJAM10
during your etsy checkout.


Thank you Heather and Rachel for happily sharing
 a little bit of your
Old Time Kitchen Magic
with me...
I savored every bite!

15 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

You've got my mouth watering over here! I wish I had learned to make jams and jellies - no one in my family ever did. I guess I'll just have to buy theirs! :)

Sarah B. said...

That sounds LOVELY! I'm drooling over the Sweet Red Pepper Jelly :)

T @ Poppy Place said...

Thanks for sharing these, Meeling. I just had to heart them. :)

I think these would be so yummy over the holidays with all the fun foods around :)

Have a lovely day, T. :)

rebecca said...

I just had to heart their shop. Everything was all so tempting!! I am definitely going to keep them in mind for when I need an extra special gift.
Cheers!

CherishedHearts Vintage said...

Yummy looking goodies! Makes me wish I'd done some jelly and jam making this year!

aquariann said...

Yum! I just ate lunch, and this feature still made me hungry!! :p

Angela said...

Mmmm! I just got back from Wal-Mart purchasing all kinds of canning tools for my father-in-law for his jam making adventure!

I really admire people who make jams and jellies - I don't know that I would have the patience for it at all.

The sweet red pepper jelly sounds SO good!!

Christine Peh said...

Oh yum! I love the sound of all those interesting jams!
Lucky you for getting samples!

Off to check out their shop :)

herzensart said...

hmm that sounds really magical and very delicious!

Southern Belle said...

Sounds like yummy jams! & reminds me of a shop I went to in TN.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

These look so yummy!! Thank you for sharing!!

i found your blog on the etsy forums, I'm your newest follower :)

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

lovely enter my giveaway? x hivennn.

Sarah B. said...

Just wanted to let you know, I'm passing along this award to you ... You can check it out here:
http://yesteachercrafts.blogspot.com/2010/12/id-like-to-thank-academy.html

Have a great day!

Lille Diane said...

BIG yum!!! I totally agree with the thoughts of passing the gifts, knowledge on to the next generation. I love being in the kitchen & also love canning especially making jams & marmalades or butters. I will go check out Heather & Rachelle's site. Beautiful post full of tantalizing pictures & thoughts! Happy Holiday to you & yours~

Melody said...

Oh my! It all looks and sounds delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...