Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Enchanted Evening

It's funny how things change over the years
and yet they stay the same.

We've had a Holiday tradition in our house
 for so many years now that I can't tell you when it even began.
It started before our oldest was even in school,
and now he's grown and no longer lives at home.

Christmas Eve is a time of magic and anticipation.
 The first time I laid eyes on 
Polar Express book,
I was thoroughly enchanted.


To me this book defines the childlike view of Christmas.
The fascination and curiosity.
It holds wonder and amazement within it's pages,
with the most eye pleasing,
slightly feathery looking illustrations.


So every Christmas Eve before bed we have read this book as a family.
The ritual has changed over the years.
The pages have become slightly yellowed and softer
from the excited fingers that have
 turned the pages many, many times.

In the beginning before the kids could read, we did all the reading.
Then as they got older they would read a word or maybe a line.
Then as they got a little older still, they would tackle a whole page.
Slowly, tripping over words, their little fingers following underneath, 
looking up at us for help when they
 just couldn't sound something out.


We take turns.
 We pass the book to the next reader as we finish our page.
Everyone is quiet as the others are reading.
They wait with baited breath
 for the the book to be placed in their hands.
I love the hush that falls over our house.


Then when it's done,
the chatter emerges.
"You still believe right?"
"I heard the bell ringing, didn't you?"
It makes my heart smile.

We end our evening with 
"hot cocoa as thick and rich as melted chocolate bars."
So with tummies full of chocolatey goodness,
and their heads dancing with dreams
 of Christmas marvels, they drift off to sleep.
And the book?
It gets put back on the shelf, 
anxiously awaiting it's voyage next Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas!

The Bell Still Rings For Me
Mady Sunshine
I'd like to take a moment to thank those of you
 that take time out of your day to stop by and visit,
those that leave comments, send me convos or emails.
I have met some great people out here in "blogland",
and made some lovely "bloggy" friends.
So to each and everyone of you and your families,
have a wonderful Holiday season!

9 comments:

Tara said...

I love the Polar Express too. My youngest and I read it recently and when we were finished, we asked each other if we could hear the bell. We both did. Have a wonderful Christmas, Meeling.

T @ Poppy Place said...

It is truly a beautiful book both in Sentiment and Artwork :)

I love to hear about people's traditions. :) The times that are truly special to each family.

Tonight is our night, all our family will be home, we make our favourite meal and then sit down to watch Christmas Vacation tog. There is nothing like a good old fashioned giggle tog.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Meeling, T. :)

SisterBatik said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Happy Holidays to the whole family!

Sue said...

That is such a neat story. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Marisa Hopkins said...

I absolutely HATE to admit that not only have I never read that book, but I haven't seen the movie either... of course the book will come first when I share it with my kids... and that is a MUST! Hmmm... Santa will be hunting for another gift or two this year... perhaps he'll swing by the bookstore :)

Beautiful post, as always! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

thestoryofkat said...

i have always loved the magic of that book. my mom is a montessori teacher of 3-4 year olds and reads it to them every year, then each child gets a little jingle bell on a ribbon.

you should check out j.r.r tolkien's "father christmas letters." it is another very special book my husband got me that i hope we will read to our children every year!

rebecca said...

Merry Christmas Meeling! I hope that you receive all that you wish for.
Peace and Love to all!
Rebecca

Happy Frog and I said...

Lovely to hear about your tradition at Christmas. Hoping you are enjoying the holidays. :-)

Marci said...

thank you so much for including me in your post!
what an honor.:D
it really is a magical book...it makes you feel all excited again, doesn't it? hope you had a very merry christmas with all those you love gathered round!
~marci

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...