Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Vous

It was Rose Bowl Sunday!
Yippee for me!!
It's my favorite Sunday of the month.

Rose Bowl Flea Market - Pasadena, California
This is the Mother of all flea markets.
It houses over 2500 vendors and attracts between
 15,000 and 20,000 buyers each month.
It's a really big deal!

I try and go almost every month.
Even if you don't find anything, just perusing through all
 the vintage treasures is a treat in itself.
And of course since this is Los Angeles, sometimes the
 people watching is the best part!



There is everything and anything you can imagine...
and then some you wouldn't believe!

Sometimes I go to just simply go and wander, 
and other times I go with a purpose.
Today I was on a mission.
I've been longing for a mid-century sideboard or martini cart, 
and usually there is a ton of mid-century stuff that
 struts itself on the second Sunday of the month.

But of course as my luck would have it...nothing!
Well, I shouldn't say nothing...there were "somethings",
just not the right somethings or at least not in the
 realm of what I would consider
 not causing great affliction on my wallet.


So I was a little disheartened until...
I saw this!





A 1940's Cocktail Guide...in pristine condition and filled
 to the brim with recipes for cocktails and appetizers
 and the most hilarious drawings!


Ooooooohhhhhhh...what a find!


So no sideboard was to be mine today...
but when it eventually shows itself,
I have the perfect book to sit on the shelf!

So I leave you with the recipe that we chose to make...

S.O.S.

1/3 part Jamaica Rum
1/3 part Apricot Brandy
1/3 part Sloe Gin
Juice 1 Lemon
Dash of Grenadine

Shake with ice and strain into cocktail glass.
(vintage of course)

The Verdict:

Delicious, but
 Whoa Nelly!
If you were to have more than one of these...
you'd be sending out an S.O.S. from the prone position on your kitchen floor!

So go easy and
 "A Vous"
 which translated means
To You!





16 comments:

maureencracknell said...

That would be such a great way to spend a day! Great find...good luck on finding that Martini Cart!

Hope you visit my way!
:)maureen

Almost Precious said...

Flea markets can be a lot of fun and sometimes you find the most marvelous things there. The cocktail book is one such nifty find. Granted the recipes for S.O.S. and Madame, Can You Walk? sound ... well not sobering, that's for sure ... how about, real Head Knockers ?

Love the photos, especially the one of the bottle vendor, there is something about the sun shining through old colored glass that is enchanting. :)

Tara said...

What a great find! I love finding old books.

Southern Belle said...

I would love to go to that...too bad I'm clear across the country in SC

saralup said...

cool blog! i'm folowing and wod love yuo to follow mine, http://mylifestartsnow69.blogspot.com/

we kinda have the same type sens of humor! *grin*

Bayside Rose said...

I cannot believe how huge this market is. We have nothing like it here.....let me just check the airfares :)

Pam x

aquariann said...

Yay for flea markets! What a great book find!! The names of the cocktails made me grin.

Walk in the Woods said...

Looks like an awesome day - and an excellent cocktail!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Well it looks like Heaven to me . I can't even remember when I last got to go to a flea market! I am guessing that cocktail was appropriately named??? LOL!!!

Karena said...

Oh if only I had known I would have sent you by Metis Linens!!

Come enter my giveaway from Empress of the Eye!
xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Handmade in Israel said...

Sounds like a fun day out! Hope you've recovered today ;)
Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.

T @ Poppy Place said...

Meeling, some times the things we find when looking for something else are priceless, aren't they. :)

I loved that aspect of LA when I lived there in the 80's. There was so much of everything around to oggle at :)

I'm sure you will find your sideboard soon.

I am jealous of those sunny days :)

Have a lovely day, T. :)

rebecca said...

What a find! I'm sure that the perfect sideboard or martini cart will find its way to you soon - in the meantime make one of those Kiss Me, Doctors.
Now I am thinking that I might need to get some Apricot Brandy for the holidays...

Angela said...

Oh my gosh! That place looks amazing!! Good luck on finding your cart on your next trip!

Marisa Hopkins said...

Oh holy COW that flea market looks and sounds FANTASTIC!! Love that shot with all the glass bottles!

lisaroyhandbags said...

I would SO love to go to that flea market! it's my idea of the perfect day out. Love your find - what a hoot and it would be fun to have a party and try out a lot of the recipes! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...