Thursday, November 11, 2010

Today I will...

I woke up this morning thinking of my grandfather.
A wonderful man who played a very important part in my life.
He passed away many years ago, but still lives in my heart everyday.

I was remembering an old tin box at my grandparents house.
It was full to the top with photographs, the lid held in place by a rubber band.
The pictures were black and white.
It is my grandfather in uniform, looking very young and dapper.
 It was taken in Indonesia where he was stationed during the war.

It seemed fitting somehow to have that memory today.
I grew up in Canada so to me it is
Remembrance Day.

Today I will remember that photograph.
A sea of red poppies pinned on lapels.
All those who have served their countries.

11 comments:

Carol said...

Lovely post.
Thanks for the reminder.

Tara said...

As I was taking the boys to school this morning, we were discussing the day . I was explaining how the whole country will be remembering in silence at the same moment. It's a beautiful thought.

New End Studio said...

You've been blessed to have those memories. Thanks for sharing.

paintingpam said...

Amen to the brave men and women of our country!

My Life Under the Bus said...

What a sweet memory to share. Thanks to Brave men and women every where!

Marisa Hopkins said...

Aw, what a beautiful memory!! And such a beautiful post!! Thanks for sharing!

Absolutely Small said...

What a beautiful post! ^_^

rebecca said...

Lovely post!

Almost Precious said...

What a nice tribute to Veteran's Day and Remembrance Day.
Your grandfather will always hold a special place in your heart and I'm sure that his spirit is very touched and proud that you've taken time to honor him on such a special day.
May we never forget those brave men and women who lost their lives for freedom and peace.

Elephant Trunk Studio said...

What a nice post about your grandfather. I also like the poppy image.

Phoebe said...

What a nice blog post. It reminds me of my great grandpa and the last time I saw him before he passed away. I love grandpas. I'm happy that you have pictures of your grandfather, they must be so precious to you! :-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...