Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Three Bowls

Three bowls...
a much loved tradition in our house.


Three bowls of baking ingredients that when combined make...
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I've been making these every year for as long as I can remember,
 even before the kids were born.
They define the start of the Holiday season in our house.

The kids know they are coming, and the words pumpkin and chocolate
 and cookies are heard at regular intervals
 in the weeks leading up to Cookie Day...
which this year happens to be today!





It's funny how traditions develop, but I love that they do.  
There is something magical as a child looking forward
 to something that only comes along on special occasions.
The anticipation, the dreaming, and then finally the end result.



They love it and I have to confess, so do I.
It's a ritual of sorts for me...
in the kitchen, apron on, hair pulled back and
 of course it's the first day that the Christmas records get dusted off.
Who can beat standing in the kitchen, in your fuzzy slippers,
 listening to a little Dean and Frank belt out some Christmas carols,
 while the scent of pumpkin, cinnamon
 and chocolate fill the air.

Not me.




As we give thanks this week for so many things...

I am thankful for traditions, my friends
 and above all my family...
without whom I would not be.
I would not be a spouse.  I would not be a Mother.
I would not be who I am today.

For them I am the most thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!


10 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, those look so good and I can just pick out the recipe. I may have to make these tomorrow. nothing can beat a tradition based on cookies. That's a great list of things to be thankful for.

Almost Precious said...

They do look yummy, moist and soft with bits of chocolate in every bite.
Yes traditions like this one are very nice.

Erin Bradley said...

YUM! Those look ABSOLUTELY delish!! :)

I heart traditions.

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm ....
my grandmother used to make her traditional finnish turnover pinwheel cookies with a prune filling that I used to love during the holidays. I miss those cookies.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving - even though ours was back in October, I've got a lot to be thankful for too! xo

Frannie said...

What a sweet post. The cookies look devine!
Happy Thanksgiving!

My Life Under the Bus said...

YUM!!! Isn't it funny how the kids are the ones to remind us of traditions? We have been hosting Thanksgiving for 4 years and the kids think it's the best thing ever!!! Who's coming?...what are we eating?....don't forget this....don't forget that...hahahaha they are like a bunch of little old men!

HAppy Thanksgiving!!!

Amanda said...

Those look so good! I love traditions!! I might have to add these cookies to my traditions- they look SO good!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

I need to eat these!!! Right now!

Angela said...

OH!! I wish I had seen this post before my trip to the grocery - those look so yummy (and very moist)

rebecca said...

That is one delicious looking cookie. Wish I could just pop into your kitchen and snag one!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...