Friday, November 19, 2010

The Steamy Kitchen

Like many other cooks I'm sure, I go through stages.
Sometimes I'm in "easy" mode,
 if it takes less than 15 minutes to prepare...
Sign Me Up!
 And then there are times when I feel more adventurous,
 and love a full evening in the kitchen.

Last weekend I was feeling rather intrepid and
 decided to cook something I'd never made before.

I love Thai food...
especially Pad Thai, it's one of my all time favorites,
 but surprisingly I'd never tackled it before.

So after some searching for an authentic recipe,
 I settled on this one from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook 
(which...hint, hint is now on my Christmas wish list)
which I came across on the
 fabulous Rasa Malaysia website.

After a trip to the local Asian market,
 I came home with everything I needed to get started.


Now it was "mis en place" time...



There is a lot of prep for the recipe but it's easy prep,
 just a lot of ingredients.
Then the real fun begins as you
 get to cook and assemble the dish.




It smelled so good...
I couldn't wait to eat!

While I finished up the Pad Thai,
 Chad was working on Steamed Dumplings
 from an old Martha Stewart magazine
 we found mixed in with our recipe books.




The end result....
(drumroll please)

Pad Thai and Steamed Dumplings with Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce

It was absolutely delicious!

I think the Pad Thai was as good if not better than the one we get
 at our local Thai restaurant.
(That's me giving myself a little pat on my back)

And Chad's dumplings...
Sublime little pockets of glistening doughy goodness,
 surrounding tasty mouthfuls of delectable filling.
Yum!

So, while not a fast weeknight dinner...
 there is something so satisfying about eating food
 that you prepared yourself.

The verdict...
Steaming up my kitchen...
worth every drop of moisture!

19 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, that looks so good. My husband makes a pretty good pad thai but your looks even better (but don't tell him). And those dumplings look delicious.

Jocelyn said...

Wow, I wish I can cook like you! Looks yummy! :)

Thanks for stopping by Hip Mama's Place. Have a great weekend!

JooJoo said...

Oh my God! Looks super yummy! I WANT it! I really need to make this :)) Have a great weekend too :) xo

Almost Precious said...

Very adventurous. Everything looks soooo tasty and the photo is truly picture perfect, looks good enough for a magazine.

Adoringly Handmade said...

This looks sooo delicious! I wish I could reach through the screen and try it. Lol.

Angela said...

Oh my gosh that looks so good! Sometimes I make things that taste good but aren't so pretty...yours looks just as good as it tastes, I bet.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Yum - Love Thai - I've started putting lite coconut milk in everything!!! Soup , Rice I'm so addicted to that and ginger - hot and sweet. Now I'm jealous! LOL

. said...

ooomegoodness...looks DELISH!!
Thank you for visiting my blog:D
Have a wonderful wknd!

Crystal said...

This looks delicious!

Melody said...

Wow, that looks amazingly delicious. And I'm not even a Thai food sort of person.

Frannie said...

It should be illegal to post those pictures ...and right before Thanksgiving!

That looks so delicious!
My daughter loves Thai...I would love to surprise her with a meal like that!

catalinacalderon.com said...

Dumplings! sounds yummy. I think we will try Thai tonight.

rebecca said...

I now have a big craving for Thai food! Oh the way you described those dumplings made my mouth water!!

geschichtenvonkat said...

wow, it looks amazing! love pad thai and it is a fun thing to make at home although i'm still perfecting mine. might have to try this recipe!

T @ Poppy Place said...

You talented girl. When is that restaurant opening? :)

I always seem to read your blog when I'm hungry, I think I can absolutely taste those. :)

I hope I can catch that train to Venice next summer :)

Have a lovely evening, T. :)

lisaroyhandbags said...

It looks delicious! I've never tried making Pad Thai either so I may just have to give it a whirl!

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers - it really meant a lot to have love and support over the past couple of weeks. big hugs! xo

Stephanie said...

yummmm! That looks so so tasty. I'm such a sucker for thai food!

Handmade in Israel said...

Wow! That looks fabulous! I love Pad Thai and have also never made it. Looks like a lot of ingredients ;)
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Emily@Pookie and Pierre said...

Now that is my kind of dinner. I am definitely going to try this post Thanksgiving! Looks so good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...