Sunday, November 7, 2010

Eat Your Vegetables

For me it was peas.  
Ick, yuk, blech, gag...the list goes on.
They would sit on my plate and stare at me, 
until they were cold, slightly shriveled,
 beyond edible...except that my Mom would still make me eat them.

It's funny how time changes our tastes, 
because somewhere over the years, I learned to love them, 
enjoy them...they became one of my favorite vegetables.

Like a lot of things in life, exposure is vital to learning to appreciate
 different things; smells, tastes, sounds.
Our minds expand through new experiences.

In this generation of things fast and loud,
 moments of slow, quiet and simple, seem fewer and farther between.
Music is one way of transporting yourself.
One of my favorite artists is Cheryl Wheeler,
I've listened to her for over twenty years.  
She's a very gifted songwriter with a beautiful voice.



My kids have been exposed to her many times over the years,
 driving in the car, on the stereo at home, but they had
 never had the chance to see her in person.  
When I heard she was coming to McCabe's in Santa Monica,
 I knew it was time for a little sensory exposure.


McCabe's is a piece of Southern California history.  
They've been around since the 1950's and just walking
 in the door you step back in time.
It's like an old fashioned candy store...but for guitar and music lovers.


Our 14 year old son plays guitar so he was quite
 literally a kid in a candy store.
Old wooden drawers of picks and guitar goodies to browse through,
 shelves upon shelves of music books and the walls
 are literally covered in instruments up to the ceiling for you to ponder.

McCabes smells important...
even if you don't play an instrument you can sense the history.


Concerts are in their back room with metal folding chairs,
 exposed brick walls, open beam ceilings, and guitars stacked all around.  
Intermission snacks consist of homemade
 chocolate chip cookies and hot tea.
It's an intimate concert experience, much more meaningful than being
 one of faceless thousands in some sterile arena.  

As I sat there watching my boys sing along to more songs
 than I realized they knew, clap and laugh, and eat their cookies;
 I became aware that I've been feeding them "peas" 
longer than I realized and something funny had happened.  
They were enjoying their vegetables. 

A ticket stub pinned to their bulletin board.
A Cheryl song on their ipod.
They like peas. 
Me...smiling.



If you'd like to listen to Cheryl Wheeler here's
 one of many songs on YouTube.

23 comments:

CRSisters said...

We enjoyed reading about vegies and Cheryl!! Brussel sprouts was the vegie that was awful when we were young and now we enjoy them with matured taste buds!!

Keep blogging...enjoying your stories

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

It was turnip greens for me!! Still can't eat them! I have never heard of Cheryl Wheeler -- went to her site but unfortunately didn't see any links to her singing, only written info. I would have like to hear her.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I ate a banana sandwich in support!!

BlenderBach said...

I always ate raw vegetables when I was little and I hated when they were steamed or cooked. But now I love cooked vegetables. It's funny to think about our ever-evolving tastes and habits.
That guitar-shop looks amazing :)

maureencracknell said...

Brussel sprouts was the veggie that I disliked the most when I was young and now I enjoy them, too.

Hope to see you my way!

:)maureen

Shrimp Salad Circus said...

I know several guys who would be in heaven in that guitar place!!!!!

Tara said...

What a great concert experience to share with your boys! For me, it was broccoli. I would refuse to eat it because it looked like little trees. Now it's one of my favourite veggies.

My Life Under the Bus said...

I never had trouble with veggies but my mother always had some bizzare meat product like pigs feet or liver ( plus she was a REALLY bad cook ) so I've always had scary meat issues.
What a sweet thing to share. I am amazed how much the kids my son is in middle school with know who Journey is. Last year I chaperoned a few dances and lo and behold if a Journey song came on they new all the lyrics! It's like being young all over again!
Happy Monday

Melody said...

Sounds like a great time. I enjoyed reading about it.

germandolls said...

I hated white asparagus. Why? My parents had a whole field of it and we had to go harvest them twice a day from May through July. It was backbreaking horribel work because you have to dig them out before they come through the soil.
Not I would love to eat them. They are rarely available in the US. And then they cost sooo much money.
Thanks for sharing your lovely memories and the cool pictures from the guitarshop!

lisaroyhandbags said...

great post! it was peas for me too - but I think it was because as a kid all veggies were so overcooked to the point of soft mush. Once I actually started having veggies in restaurants that weren't overcooked, I realized that I really like cooked veggies INCLUDING peas!
what a great day for your boys- the guitar shop looks amazing and I love hearing these kinds of stories of introducing kids to interesting things :)

DesignsbyElenaMarie said...

When I was little, I would ONLY eat peas with a toothpick. This is how my parent's got me to eat them, by making it fun!

Angela said...

That looks like the kind of place my husband would love!!

rebecca said...

Thanks for introducing Cheryl Wheeler to me. What a talent!! I checked out her videos on You Tube - her "Estate Sale" video was hysterical!! She now has one more fan!!

Dyche Designs said...

Great post, you made me laugh about the vegetables.

~Kimberly said...

Thanks for following my blog and adding your shop link to my page!

I never liked peas growing up, and still don't! HA!

Krishenka said...

Great post and enjoyed reading it, I was lucky I liked all veggies and still do. I have 2 guitars but have not touched them for years sigh..... might just have to go find them and try again.

A Room For Everyone said...

It looks like a great place, no wonder your children enjoyed it so much! Rachaelxx

Amanda said...

What a charming place :) Sounds like such an amazing concert space!

Almost Precious said...

Fantastic post and beautifully written. Guess as children we all had our dreaded vegetable, it's a good thing that as we mature so do our tastes ... in a lot of things.

Sounds like the Cheryl Wheeler concert was top quality time spent between you and your sons and that is priceless.

T @ Poppy Place said...

What a beautiful voice Cheryl has. I have never heard of her before. Thanks for sharing. That is wonderful that you got to go and share that time with your sons.

We are the weird veggie eating family, we love our peas and broccoli and b. sprouts too!

Have a lovely evening, T. :)

Sarah B. said...

How fun! What a great venue - I bet my husband (who tinkers with the guitar) would love to visit!

And I still hate peas ;)

rachee_rose said...

LOVE Cheryl Wheeler, we heard her at Strawberry one year and I've been a fan ever since. The funny thing about brussel sprouts is that my 4 year old loves them, she actually asked for them for her birthday dinner.

PonderandStitch said...

Oh, I wish I could go to that store! I've been playing acoustic guitar for maybe seven or eight years..it's the best! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...