Friday, October 8, 2010

Have microwave....will travel

Hmmmm...how to go about explaining the title of this post 
without sounding weird?  
About twice a year, Chad and I take a few days sans munchkins and head up the coast.  

The Central Cost of California is a fantastic place.  It's beautiful to look at, the weather is almost always perfect and there's good food and wine everywhere you look.  It's our little piece of paradise.  The gentle crashing of waves, the smell of salt in the air, a little sand between your toes...I feel my blood pressure lower the closer we get.  As most of us are, we are creatures of habit, and so we frequent the same haunts.  The same hotel, the same little shops and restaurants...about the only thing we switch up is the wineries we visit.

So that brings me to our hotel The Spyglass Inn.  It is unpretentious, quiet, clean and above all right on the beach.  You fall asleep to the sounds of the waves breaking against the shore...it honestly doesn't get much better than that.
Spyglass Inn - Shell Beach, CA

View from our balcony

The one thing it does lack however is a microwave.
I know it's not exactly a huge deal but I like to warm up my cup of coffee or heat up our breakfast muffins in the morning.  So that leads me to this... 

Chad bringing Emerson the microwave into our room

and yes I know I'm never going to hear the end of it for posting this photo, but I'm the editor in chief of this blog so...oh well, and I know he'll laugh at it later. 

So microwave in hand...all was perfect. 
(and yes maybe I'm just a little weird)

Location, location, location....that's another reason this hotel has it all, 
not a block away is DePalo & Sons.

DePalo & Sons
They are a gourmet deli & wine store with the absolute best customer service you'll find anywhere.  They have a wonderful selection of Italian goodies to drool over and a great selection of wines.
Mascarpone & gorgonzola torte with roasted garlic

We settled on a lovely white to celebrate....nothing other than it was Wednesday!


Rombauer Carneros Chardonnay
You can check out Rombauer Wines here to read more about them and where they
are available in your local area.  
A great "splurge" bottle!  

Morro Bay

About a half hour drive from Shell Beach is Morro Bay...it's breathtakingly beautiful and one of my all time favorite spots on the Central Coast.


What's better than a stroll on the beach looking for sand dollars?
How about the best garlic fries on the planet!!



Delicious!!

San Luis Obispo

San Luis is a college town with a great vibe, and tons of good restaurants.  One of our favorites is
the Buffalo Pub & Grill. It just has a great atmosphere, good standard "pub" grub and Guinness on tap!


or in this instance a great Black & Tan...



Wine Tasting

We visited a few tasting rooms on this trip, but Chamisal was our favorite.  Their wines were first-class and the atmosphere was pleasant and down to earth and they had a great patio to sit and enjoy the California sunshine.










Corktree Cellars


The time had come to head home...and while we were sad that the time had gone so fast, it did mean passing one of our all time favorite restaurants on the way. 
Corktree Cellars has been a long time favorite.  



It is a very cozy restaurant, the servers are always friendly and they make Guinness battered onion rings that are out out of this world!

Guinness Onion Rings with Garlic Aoili
As we were tired and still had a long way to drive we took them to go and ate them in the car...

What a delicious end to a perfect getaway!

A little getaway is good for so many things.  It clears your head, gives you a little burst of energy to keep going and above all strengthens relationships; with your spouse, your kids and yourself.


So?
Have microwave....will travel?
This time yes...next time considering how much food we ate...I'm thinking Emerson can stay at home...the treadmill might make a better traveling companion!




10 comments:

Debs Crochet said...

Looks like you had a very nice time. I have been to the beach a number of times and never have seen a sand dollar.

Sarah B. said...

That looks like it was a fantastic (and yummy!) getaway! I don't even think you need to feel bad for bringing the microwave :)

harrietshaven said...

This looks like a fantastic getaway! I like the microwave idea too.

Rebecca at Meadowview said...

You had me at mascarpone & gorgonzola torte with roasted garlic.
Of course the whole weekend looked absolutely delightful!
And bravo to you for taking your microwave - why spoil a lovely weekend with cold coffee and cold muffins.

Stephanie said...

black and tan is one of my favorite drinks!


I laughed when I saw the picture of the microwave going with you.. hilarious!

Handmade in Israel said...

Lucky you! What a great trip. Love the sand dollars... whay don;t you just boil the kettle for your coffee ;)
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so pleased you like my cards.

Expressions By Devin said...

All the food looks so yummy. The next time I travel i will be taking a microwave( great idea)

Tara said...

Thank you for visiting and for the kind words about my stones. The large one does look like a windmill. Never thought of that before. I am very jealous of your weekend away. My husband and I are going away without the little men for the first time in 5 years. Very excited! Unfortunately, it's northern Ontario rather than California. Still beautiful but somehow I can't help but wish it was the California coast. Lovely blog. For some inexplicable reason, I now want a glass of wine.

Christine (Remember December) said...

Looks like you had a relaxing & wonderful trip too! I've been to California (way too long ago...) but post has made me want to visit its central coast! Someday... someday... :) Oh, and I love how you talk so much about the food you ate during the trip! Great food always makes a great holiday!!

lisaroyhandbags said...

You are too funny with that microwave! I love having one in my hotel rooms too but it never occurred to me to bring my own!
The trip sounds fantastic - I've only been to LA and Santa Monica and have always wanted to drive along the coast, drink wine, visit Carmel. I'll keep your post in mind when we do finally get there :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...