Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Goodbye Wine and Cheese...just for today

I love wine and cheese and even on occasion beer and chips, 
but there's something simple and appealing about a cocktail.  
It's refined retro. 

It brings to mind old movies where the women wore a dress and the men a jacket and tie to a party.  It was a time meant for gathering and talking, bringing people together.
There'd be a record on the player, tunes of Frank, 
Sammy or Nat filling the air. 
Simple cocktail food; like finger sandwiches, salted nuts, maybe even 
cocktail wieners with those frilly toothpicks!
And of course a fantastic cocktail or two.


So the other afternoon when I had nothing better to do...well ok, 
actually maybe I did have laundry, 
but c'mon clean clothes are kind of overrated right? 

I put a little Frank on the record player and planned out my next party...and here's what I came up with.
  
Ladies, wouldn't you just feel like the quintessential 1950's housewife, 
if you donned a gorgeous party dress like this?  
The pearls are a must!


1950's Green Cotton Party Frock
I can picture all my finger sandwiches, crusts removed and cut into 
perfect little triangles and plated up on these gorgeous buffet plates, 
complete with a little bowl of cornichons and olives.


Franciscan Ware Buffet Plates

You've got to have punch and what better container 
to serve in it than this?
Totally fab!

Witty Vintage
Retro Atomic Orange Carafe
Now that the punch is ready...what perfect retro glasses to pour it into.
I love these!


My Unique Antiques

Vintage Green Juice Glasses

What kind of cocktail party would it be without a dish of spiced nuts!


Walnut Candy Dish


Once you start mixing up those drinks your guests are going to need somewhere to set them down.  What better option than these?  
Coasters made out of vintage records! 
I own a set of these and they are awesome!!


Christophers Coasters

Rat Pack Record Drink Coasters



A great party wouldn't be complete without a cocktail
shaker for a martini or two.
This retro shaker that comes complete with recipes is perfect.


Vintage Cocktail Shaker with Recipes

Or if you're going for even more elegance, how about some 
champagne served up in these gorgeous coupes.


Abundancy
Rock Crystal Champagne Coupe

Now that my party is all planned out, I hope you can make it.
I'm off to find my frilly toothpicks and put the cocktail wieners on....

See you at 7!



15 comments:

Vintage Frocks Of Fancy said...

WOW!! Count me in for drinks at 7!! Great blog and what fun treasures you have posted for us to feast our eyes on!! I'll bring an appetizer and see you soon! THANKS! Michaelann

Diana said...

Wow! I love everything vintage, and these picks are great! I keep wanting to have a tea party picnic with some friends where we all wear frilly dresses and use pretty little tea cups in the park. Now it's almost winter though. Ah well.

Birds of Oregon said...

A very VERY awesome blog. I had so much fun imagining this party! I'm hungry for finger sandwiches now.

AnastasiaC said...

cool Retro goodies!! such a 'Mad Men' inspired post - love it!!

charmeddesign1012 said...

Love your vintage pics! I adore the dress.

izztelford said...

Love the retro post! Thanks for featuring my retro carafe:) xo

Vintage Queen said...

This blog is so incredibly awesome! How'd you know that the Rat Pack theme is one of my vintage faves???? Wow, you're good...the retro/vintage ware is very chic and cool, in a word: CLASSIC. I'd love to dress for one of those dinner parties!!

Retroburgh said...

What a great post. This is our favorite era, I actually own a few of the items listed here -- besides the martini shaker.

Smart Hostess Approved!!

rebecca said...

I'll have mine shaken, not stirred...
I just love what you have cooked up for us!!That dress is fantastic and the Rat Pack Drink Coasters - what an awesome idea! I had a great time imaging the music, the food and all the fun!!

rebecca said...

Oh! and thanks for inviting my buffet plates to the party!

Jacqueline Gikow said...

I love this vintage post about a nostalgic time of life. Wouldn't it be nice if people still dressed to go to the theater as well!

lisaroyhandbags said...

I'm putting on my best frock and will be there at 7! :)

Chef Bee said...

Count me in. Love the picture of the dress.

Plan B

Tara said...

Love that dress. Glad you like my crochet covered stone necklaces. I made two more yesterday. I'm thinking I'm making them for a spring craft fair but I may also list some on Etsy. If I do, I'll let you know. Great post.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Oh that dress!!! It's fantastic - wouldn't you love to go back in time just for one day? I'm in see you at 7 : ) Have an awesome weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...