Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Hairy Peach

Picture this...a cozy restaurant with brick walls, soft lighting, comfy chairs, friendly staff, maybe a fireplace, a considerable selection of beers on tap, a wonderful wine list, music that makes you feel right at home, and above all great food. The kind of place you plan your Friday nights around.  It's called The Hairy Peach. Well for the moment it's existence is entirely in my imagination, but maybe one day that will change.  I know you're asking what kind of name is The Hairy Peach for a restaurant, but it got your attention right?  One night over a glass of wine or two...or maybe it was three and our frequent discussions of opening a restaurant and planning the menu, the name just kind of arrived and it stuck.  It's been a running joke for a long while and it only seemed appropriate that the blog carry the name in it's place, till opening night of course.

My name is Meeling and I'm a foodie.  Not officially I guess, but self appointed.  I have no food credentials behind my name, and the only person that's ever called me Chef was my kids, but thats gotta count for something.

I enjoy food.  I love to cook.  I love to eat.  I'm pretty good at both.

I'm no Anthony Bourdain for sure, though I'd like to think I'm slightly better looking than he is.  I have pretty much every spice known to man and have actually used most of them.  I count kochujang and harissa as pantry staples and cumin in our house comes in an industrial sized vat.  Of course there's probably also some Mrs. Dash and Frito's Bean Dip in there, so I'm not really sure what that says about me.

We host our own Chopped food competitions in our kitchen at fairly regular intervals.  Our boys think these are normal family evenings and are getting pretty good at stumping us with the ingredients.  The last four they picked out: lamb chops, chocolate, bacon bits and Rice Krispies.  I love that they are involved in the process and hopefully they'll grow up and have a love of cooking and no fear of putting on an apron.  That's my man in the apron below, and he can kick my butt in the kitchen...well sometimes he can...when I let him win. Wink, wink! (I'll make sure he doesn't read this post)

And so here is my blog.  I like to write and I like to eat and somehow there's a little life that's bound to make it onto the page as well.  I hope you'll follow along with me and see where we can go and what we can eat.

11 comments:

Crunchy Diva said...

I think that's a cool name for a restaurant. My partner & i dream about opening a coffee shop so I understand where you are coming from. good luck with the blog.

Jacaranda Designs said...

Sounds like a wonderful dream - maybe it'll come true!

Abundance Yeah said...

This is a cute blog. I have a food blog too and I'm following you. www.abundanceyeah.blogspot.com

Abundance Yeah said...

Hey one way to get followers is to have a giveaway. I make peach butter. You could do a giveaway and I would send the prize to the winner. I have all the info you need if you are interested. I like to do food giveway on food blogs

RaeoLight said...

I look forward to following you.. it looks great!

maureencracknell said...

I love it! We have lots in common. I share my craft and artwork on my blog, but I also really have a passion for all things food. I hope to share that side of myself once I get a good camera. Food needs to be photographed really well, to look good -- I think. Well, GOOD LUCK! And, thanks for visiting me today -- I hope you stop back!

Letty said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea for a restaurant to me.. I would go there for sure :)

handmadebyannepotter said...

Gorgeous blog and fabulous foodie concept- I'm totally following! (And I KNOW you're better looking than Anthony Bourdain! No offense, Anthony Bourdain.)

Cheers!
www.handmadebyannepotter.com

T @ Poppy Place said...

Welcome to Bloggerville :)

I am a self proclaimed "Foodie" too!!

Wishing you success with your dream.

Have to say, not sure about the name, as hair and food not a good combo, just my twopenth, sorry :)

Have a lovely Friday, T. :)

Two Bites at the Cherry: said...

Oh man. Food blog? I can already tell I'm going to be looking forward to all your posts :)

XOXO

Beaded Embellishments said...

Hi Meeling,
Thanks so much for your posts on my blog. I just wanted to put a face to your name and I've found a pic of you here. (Great looking couple by the way).
I see that you have some pics of your favourite Etsy shops posted on your sidebars. Are these there by your choice or are they paid advertisements?
P.S. Good luck on the restaurant of your dreams. "If you believe it, you can achieve it".
Cheers
Denise
from
Beaded Embellishments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...